Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Mooncalf.

Some interesting background that I didn't fully know about here.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Plusculus.

Meaning: a little bit more

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Perhaps it's not the most interesting word, but it's rare:

illimis: without mud or slime.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Half the fun is in trying to imagine the context that called for such a word.
Describing a beautiful spring:
fons erat inlimis, nitidis argenteus undis,

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

'necesse est nón bibere ex flúminibus illímibus, sí piscibus quóque carent.'

The other day a friend of mine was talking about rivers which are fed by sources which pass over radioactive rocks.

illimis: without mud or slime.
I wonder if it can be used of people as well as rivers? Given that it is only attested once or twice, I suppose it's not necessarily possible to know.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I wonder if it can be used of people as well as rivers? Given that it is only attested once or twice, I suppose it's not necessarily possible to know.
If it had become a more commonly used word, I suspect it would have extended to people, but at this point the only citations are Ovid (the quote I posted above), and Seneca (quoting Ovid), so, as you said, it's not possible to know.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

It doesn't sound like something you'd say about a person, except possibly metaphorically, and even then.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I can imagine it perhaps being used of a person literally if a group of people got covered in mud as the result of some accident and one of them remained "mudless".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I suspect Iáson was referring to metaphorical usages, like morally pure/clean. That seems a bit more likely at least.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

Have I made an error, or is the query over why I used them at all?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I find quomodocumque rather interesting. It's synonymous with "quocumque modo", which is much more logical.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I like "soever" because you can do tmeses with that a bit like with Latin cumque. In an archaic style, that is.

Latin example:

Vero, et a peritissimis sunt istis de rebus et responsa et scripta multa, et ego in hoc omni sermone nostro, quod ad cumque (= ad quodcumque) legis genus me disputatio nostra deduxerit, tractabo quoad potero eius ipsius generis ius civile nostrum, sed ita locus ut ipse notus sit, ex quo ducatur quaeque pars iuris, ut non difficile sit, qui modo ingenio possit moveri, quaecumque nova causa consultatiove acciderit, eius tenere ius, quom scias a quo sit capite repetendum. (Cicero, De Legibus II)

English example:

[1] The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to make known to his servants the things which must shortly come to pass: and signified, sending by his angel to his servant John, [2] Who hath given testimony to the word of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ, what things soever (= whatsoever things) he hath seen. (Douay-Rheims Bible, Rev. 1)

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

'necesse est nón bibere ex flúminibus illímibus, sí piscibus quóque carent.'

The other day a friend of mine was talking about rivers which are fed by sources which pass over radioactive rocks.
Wait, talking in Latin? :eek:

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

"clanculum" is a rather funny word. It seems synonymous to "clam".

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

"odorifer", literally meaning "bringing or spreading odors; fragrant", also has the meaning "producing perfumes or spices", and thus "gens odorifera" refers to the Persians.