Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Caldicerebrius = "hot-headed", almost literally (from caldus + cerebrum).

After using it in my exercise sentence for Hawkwood, I thought it was an interesting word indeed and I should perhaps post it here. Your posting now made me do it.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Here's a rare and interesting word: saxificus (meaning: that turns into stone; petrifying). In all the instances it occurs it describes Medusa.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Here's a rare and interesting word: saxificus (meaning: that turns into stone; petrifying)
I ran a search on phi to find the context. Medusa, of course. :D

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Wow, I don't know. Such a tricky question! :doh:

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Convolted, in fact. ;)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Probably in the Ovid Metamorphoses one.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Yes.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Panzerjäger: "Tank-hunter"

Dave bumps into Goliath. Interestingly there was a large section of the axis and allies who thought tanks should be destroyed by anti-tank strategy as opposed to a like for like scenario that eventually won the day. Still, these chaps proved their weight in gold; although I wouldn't have opted for the job myself, no thanks.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

The Soviets had an interesting anti-tank strategy. They put food for stray dogs underneath the tanks, to make them associate them with nice things. Then they strapped bombs to them in the expectation that they would eagerly dive under German tanks looking for their dinner.

They'd failed to take into account that it was Soviet tanks that inspired happy memories, not German ones. And the Soviet tanks were a lot closer.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Whether it is or not, this looks like it might be related to futuo.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Whether it is or not, this looks like it might be related to futuo.
Huh, that's interesting. We were discussing the root verb of this (fuo) yesterday in Greek class (it came up in the Agathon passage). Is that what made you look it up?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

No. I'm being asked in homework to provide forms of various verbs, among which this one. I didn't know it, so I looked it up.

Hawkwood

• Civis

The Soviets had an interesting anti-tank strategy. They put food for stray dogs underneath the tanks, to make them associate them with nice things. Then they strapped bombs to them in the expectation that they would eagerly dive under German tanks looking for their dinner.

They'd failed to take into account that it was Soviet tanks that inspired happy memories, not German ones. And the Soviet tanks were a lot closer.
In the Soviet Union life was cheap. Hard to imagine living in the West just how cheap it was. Still I can't knock the Soviet thinking behind cheap mass-produced tanks, it proved decisive in the East.

While Germany, in typical fashion, were building expensive high-end tanks in posh factories that took an age to come off the line, Stalin was using converted tractor factories to spew out thousands upon thousands of cheap T34s that were built to last 1500 miles max. The Soviet thinking behind this was genius: Why build an expensive tank that on average will last 14 hours in operation before being destroyed? Why indeed.

Edit: You might this anyway. I only say because my post unintentionally seems a bit lecture'ish.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

The Soviet thinking behind this was genius: Why build an expensive tank that on average will last 14 hours in operation before being destroyed? Why indeed.
Unfortunately, they transferred this principle to car manufacturing after the war. The Moskvitch mark was notorious for its poor build quality and short lifespan.

Hawkwood

• Civis

Unfortunately, they transferred this principle to car manufacturing after the war. The Moskvitch mark was notorious for its poor build quality and short lifespan.

I just wrote out a pretty longish reply but then thought I might as well ask you first if you have an interest in Soviet ideology especially in relation to the period building up to and after WWII. I could knock up a thread if you fancy it. No presh though if it's not your thang.