Ganellus SSM. Liber 2 Folio 11.

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

I'm working on a transcription of the Oration to Saturn from Ganellus's SSM. Liber 2 Folio 11.

There's a word I can't pin down which I've highlighted in green.

In trying different things in Whitaker's Words, 'capedius' looks moderately viable. Two words cap + edius. Edius meaning high and lofty which probably makes sense. Why is the 'cap' there though? And is it actually capedius?

Might it be an obscure loan word?

Saturn oration.PNG

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

Rather capedinis, I think. The second letter looks like an a.

I've found this:

Thank you for that! You're a gift that keeps giving.

It does look like capedinis and I don't know why I didn't spot it when I was scanning my dictionary.

The only problem with the grandis capedinis being a reference to Saturn appearing as a sacrificial bowl though is that the rings weren't discovered until 1610 and Ganellus's manuscript predates that by a couple of hundred years at least.

I'm thinking that maybe the bowl is a poetic reference to the sky although I'd really love to believe that Ganellus actually conjured a Saturnian angel who told him all about the rings and how Saturn looks a bit like a bowl from some angles.

I'm wondering if this is the whole sentence..............O Saturne planeta qui poneris in olimpo septimo alto revolutorio grandis capedinis subventor omni virtute deditus precantium tibi in cunctis tuis operibus..............and if this is a viable translation.........O Saturn, planet who is placed in the seventh heaven and lofty orbit of the great bowl, swift helper with all given power of those beseeching you in all your works.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

Rather something like "in the seventh lofty revolving heaven".
I love it. I think that's much better and Latin does already have orbis and ambitum for the word 'orbit'.

Revolving seems a much better and more accurate way to translate revolutorio.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

Cinefactus did most of the work this time.

That would make sense.

There aren't so many words. I think it just reads subventor omnium precantium.
Originally, I thought so too. And you may be well be correct. I was however, a bit suss about the oud. I also took it as an om with stroke over the o and therefore, possibly omnium but Capelli has that as an omnem and I became convinced that it's oud with stroke over the o and in consulting Capelli, I found a reference to oud being omni virtuti deditus although in Capelli, there's no stroke over the o.

I personally like omnium precantium much more but I'm pretty convinced that the last letter isn't a clumy M but a D.

Notice the D in fortitudinem and the M finishing it?

fortitudinem.PNG

And now look at this again.

oud.PNG

Obviously Ganellus was human with idiosyncratic handwriting and you could well be right. Certainly, omnium precantium is more elegant and less clumsy etc but what I'm thinking is that it looks very much like a U and a D with the D left unclosed below the rising stroke and not so much like a typical M.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

An acronym of omni virtuti deditus seems very unlikely to me here. It would intrude awkwardly into the flow of the sentence, whereas omnium is just natural. And, indeed, I don't think there would normally be a stroke over the acronym.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yeah, a stroke over the acronym isn't worth it, lol
:D

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Cappelli has this as an abbreviation for omnium.
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 07.32.01.png

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

An acronym of omni virtuti deditus seems very unlikely to me here. It would intrude awkwardly into the flow of the sentence, whereas omnium is just natural. And, indeed, I don't think there would normally be a stroke over the acronym.
I am absolutely convinced that you and Cinefactus are correct. Many thanks to you both for your help. It does read more naturally, more elegantly and just more sensibly without the addition of omni virtuti deditus.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It is Mac only, not iPhone.

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

It is Mac only, not iPhone.
It actually does seem to be a possibility for Windows 10 and 11 which if true is pretty fabulous.

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

mysterious word.PNG

I have a final word that I can't quite get with any confidence. I've put it in a green box.

According to someone who published a translation but not with a transcription, it means 'heaven' or something with connotations of sky, heaven, orbit, sphere etc.

I don't know if it's uranu - possibly the word for 'sky' borrowed from Greek. It seems to have a stroke over the final u suggesting uranum but that would surely make it accusative so how does THAT fit with 'in septimo uran-whateveritis'?