Voice of Deponent Verbs

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The conjugation tables that I have seen only list the voice of deponents as being either "middle/passive" or "mediopassive", with no indication of whether a given instance of usage can and should be interpreted as middle voice, as passive voice, or as either. How is one to know what the voice capabilities of a given deponent are? For instance (to use what has become my "go-to" deponent recently, οἴομαι), should

οἴομαι ἔρχεσθαι αὐτίκα πρός διδασκαλεῖον.

be translated as "I intend (middle voice) to go directly to school", "I am intended (passive voice) to go directly to school", or either of these voices, as context or the writer's intent appears to demand?

EDIT: Actually, I think if such verbs can be passive in meaning, they probably cannot be called "deponent", but the conjugation tables list the meanings as being "middle/passive", as I have noted above, so my question still remains.

Last edited:

Avunculus H

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Best way is to check a dictionary whether any passive reading is mentioned. In general, I would be suprised if that is the case, but I don't have sufficient experience with Clasical Greek that I could say that a passive reading is excluded for all deponents. Concerning οἴομαι, e.g. Liddell-Scott doesn't list any passive readings at all, so it should probably always be translated as middle voice.