Vetus Latina Gen 15:11

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"And the birds came down on the bodies that had been divided, and Abram sat with them."

Consedit/"sat with" corresponds to what the Septuagint has. From what I can gather, a translator at some point mistook the Hebrew verb for another one that looked alike, giving rise to this reading.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

"And the birds came down on the bodies that had been divided, and Abram sat with them."

Consedit/"sat with" corresponds to what the Septuagint has. From what I can gather, a translator at some point mistook the Hebrew verb for another one that looked alike, giving rise to this reading.
What is the original reading? I believe in Arabic there is a similar idiom; i.e. "sit with" = "talk with at length."

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Also, my copy of the Vulgate has abigēbat. I wonder when this correction was made.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I wonder what the wrong verb is.
Probably this one: ישב - Wiktionary

While the right one is apparently this, but in a form that makes it look a lot like the other:
w.PNG

Interlinear Search for 'Genesis 15:8-18' - KJV with the BHS and TR - StudyLight.org

I can't tell exactly what's going on as I don't know Hebrew.

Also, my copy of the Vulgate has abigēbat. I wonder when this correction was made.
Maybe it was made by St Jerome. The version in the OP is from the Vetus Latina, which was revised by him.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

which was revised by him
Well, I guess it would be more exact to say that some versions of the Vetus Latina were revised by him. The Vetus Latina isn't really one work but many early versions.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So St Jerome may have corrected this verb, or he may not even have seen a version that had the mistake in the first place.

Though he probably did see the Septuagint... but I don't know how many versions of it may have been around, either.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Jerome did have reference to Origen's Hexapla which was an edition of the Hebrew and several Greek translations of the Bible, including the Septuagint.

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

While the right one is apparently this, but in a form that makes it look a lot like the other:
View attachment 22415

Interlinear Search for 'Genesis 15:8-18' - KJV with the BHS and TR - StudyLight.org

The initial Nun has been assimilated hence the dot in the shin. As the nun was not present the translator mistook the yod as the first letter of the root. This would lead him to think that the verb was yashav instead of imperfect 3ms nashav( Hence the yod prefix).

The waw conjunction being pointed with a pathach should have been a clear indication that the verb was imperfect but the translator was most likely using an unpointed text. With a pointed text he wouldn't have made the mistake.

I think that's what happened anyway.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

View attachment 22415

Maybe it was made by St Jerome. The version in the OP is from the Vetus Latina, which was revised by him.
Oops. I should have read the thread title more carefully.