Three confusing translations: Tiberius uxōrem suam Iūliam...

Nico.chan

I cannot STAND my Latin study guide!! I haven't even learned many of these forms yet, and I'm expected to translate these confusing sentences:

---Tiberius uxōrem suam Iūliam sēcum non habitare cupīvit.
I tried this for hours and I got this: Tiberius didn't want his own wife Julia to live with him(self)...?? :|

---Caligula partem suī dīvīnam esse crēdidit.
I haven't even seen the word "dīvīnam" b4 in the entire course!
But I came up with: Caligula believed that a part of himself was divided? :?

And this one juss made me wanna blow up: :x :brickwall:

---Claudius statuit sē in dīvīnam esse credidit.
Claudius established that he believed himself in having been divided? :cry:
If I take another look at these sentences I think I'm gunna cry...

B

Bitmap

Re: Three (very) confusing translations?

Nico.chan dixit:
I cannot STAND my Latin study guide!! I haven't even learned many of these forms yet, and I'm expected to translate these confusing sentences:

I tried this for hours and I got this: Tiberius didn't want his own wife Julia to live with him(self)...?? :|
That's right. He didn't want her to live with him (e.g. in the same house as he does)

---Caligula partem suī dīvīnam esse crēdidit.
I haven't even seen the word "dīvīnam" b4 in the entire course!
But I came up with: Caligula believed that a part of himself was divided? :?
look up divinus (hint: there is a very similar word in English)

And this one juss made me wanna blow up: :x :brickwall:

---Claudius statuit sē in dīvīnam esse credidit.
Claudius established that he believed himself in having been divided? :cry:
If I take another look at these sentences I think I'm gunna cry...
Sorry, this Latin sentence doesn't make sense to me either. Are you sure this is the actual Latin sentence???

Nico.chan

Nico.chan dixit:
That's right. He didn't want her to live with him (e.g. in the same house as he does)
thnx for the reassurance!

look up divinus (hint: there is a very similar word in English)
Divine was my first guess when I saw that word, but i dont get y it wasnt even available in the textbook itself! it was never even mentioned in the entire course...i'll try it though...it makes more sense too..thnx~

Sorry, this Latin sentence doesn't make sense to me either. Are you sure this is the actual Latin sentence???
ya i copied the exact sentence off the book...it duznt make sense ... :?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I can vouch for the tests being terrible, and the teachers in that particular school don't know what they're doing when it comes to Latin. Fortunately, I saved all of my tests.

Let's see if I can't steer you in the right direction...

Found your problem - in this case, you just forgot one crucial word: in

Claudius statuit se in divinam esse credidit

Set the English words in this order - "Claudius credidit statuit se esse in divinam"

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nick dixit:
I can vouch for the tests being terrible, and the teachers in that particular school don't know what they're doing when it comes to Latin. Fortunately, I saved all of my tests.

Set the English words in this order - "Claudius credidit statuit se esse in divinam"
That's still ungrammatical. You can't have two finite, indicative verb forms like credidit and statuit appear together in one sentence without a conjunction. If one is subordinate to the other, it should be an infinitive.

What school are you talking about, btw?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I know it's ungrammatical, but it makes guessing the meaning easier :p

It's the American School of Correspondence. The textbook isn't bad, but the study guide and tests were made by (or for) the school itself, and they apparently weren't proofread. The grading is all done by a master key, and the graders at the school probably don't know any Latin themselves.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nick dixit:
I know it's ungrammatical, but it makes guessing the meaning easier :p

It's the American School of Correspondence. The textbook isn't bad, but the study guide and tests were made by (or for) the school itself, and they apparently weren't proofread. The grading is all done by a master key, and the graders at the school probably don't know any Latin themselves.
Wow. That sounds utterly ridiculous. I'm assuming you paid quite a bit of money to take the course? If they're "teaching" Latin without any actual Latin teachers, and tests are being graded by people who don't know anything more about the subject than the students, isn't that fraud? It is a nationally accredited school (according to Wiki), after all. I would consider filing a complaint.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I sent in a number of complaints (to the school, that is). I took quite a few courses in that school, and that was the only one that was poorly designed.

Fortunately, the textbook alone was quite sufficient to get me started and to prepare the jump to more advanced books.

Nico.chan

Nick dixit:

o thnx i totally 4got that *slaps forehead* :doh:
ok here goes:
Claudius believed he established (that) he (himself) was in divine??
GAH! this is stressful...this is also my last question of the whole lessson! :x

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Well, since the sentence is ungrammatical, I'll just tell you what my answer was -

"Claudius believed that he had established himself to be in divinity"

Nico.chan

Nick dixit:
Well, since the sentence is ungrammatical, I'll just tell you what my answer was -

I was considering "divinity" also but i juss cant get past the fact that it wasnt even mentioned in the ENTIRE course and here it is in the exam...go figure. :?
but thnx alot nik i really couldnt hav done ANYTHING without ur assistance. much appreciated! :D

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

No problem, you made it up to the point where the test creator forgot to stick to the book without any trouble. Just be sure to follow up with a more advanced course - Adler's "Practical Grammar" is available for free on Google Books and is very good. After getting started on that, it would be a good idea to start listening to the Latinum podcast.

B

Bitmap

Nick dixit:

that's a mere guessing game as to what could have been meant. There's no such word as divina for "divinity", statuere would have to be in the perfect infinitive and the in would have to be followed by an ablative (of divinitas) for your translation to work.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I'm not saying that it's grammatical - but that is the answer (i.e., that is what the graders mark as "correct"). The last three tests in particular were poorly made, and that was what first brought me to this forum in January.

Nico.chan

Nick dixit:
I'm not saying that it's grammatical - but that is the answer (i.e., that is what the graders mark as "correct"). The last three tests in particular were poorly made, and that was what first brought me to this forum in January.
ya same here

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nick dixit:

That would need to be something like: Claudius se in divinis statutum [esse] credidit.