theological college diploma

thgpf

Dear colleagues,
I've never translated a Latin diploma from a theological college and am afraid of missing nuances beyond my understanding. Any advice or alarm bells relative to the following would be gratefully received!
Optime sano consilio institutum est, ut qui Sapientiae comparandae dant operam, laboris industriaeque suae fructum honestissimum assequantur. Itaque cum
[name of person]
Sacram Theologiam omni animi sui nisu susceperit excolendam editisque pro recta studiorum istius Athenaei ratione legibus parens, statuto tempore sui progressus specimen exhibuerit et [BLANK!] centesimas suffragiorum retulerit, auctoritate S. Sedis nobis delata, in nomine Summi Pontificis ...
[name of degree programme]
renuntiamus atque omnibus et singulis juribus, privilegiis, indultis, praerogativis augemus, quibus ii omnes fruuntur, qui hujusmodi gradum in qualibet Studiorum Universitate fuerint adepti.
Porro praesentes ei litteras dedimus Nostra, Rectoris Magnifici, ac Decani Facultatis manu subscriptas et sigillo Facultatis munitas, quo luculentum haberi possit laudis honorisque testimonium.
Thanks for any observations / advice!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Do you have a preliminary translation of your own that you could post? It would save our volunteers a lot of time if they didn't have to do the whole thing from scratch. Plus you'd stand a better chance of getting a response quickly.

thgpf

Thanks Terry - I'm new to the group, but should have thought of this anyway. Thanks for prompting me!
For me the problem area is the one where there's a deliberate blank in the diploma which has been left unfilled. I think that instead of reproducing this lacuna literally, one could take advantage of something that I didn't show you and the group: namely, that the degree programme's name is accompanied by a note saying that the graduate's degree classification was an upper second. Given this, I think the problem can be avoided by saying simply that s/he obtained grades such that by the authority of the Holy See, etc., the degree X, obtained with an upper second class distinction, etc.