Tacitus Historiae 1

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

igitur versare sententias et huc atque illuc torquere, hostem et parricidam Vitellium vocantes, providentissimus quisque vulgaribus conviciis, quidam vera probra iacere, in clamore tamen et ubi plurimae voces, aut tumultu verborum sibi ipsi obstrepentes.

This is just a horrible sentence in my opinion. o_O

igitur versare sententias et huc atque illuc torquere, - I guess the subject is vocantes. I was taking infinitives as historic infinitives, but now I thought it could be also 3rd person plural. That would make things easier.
hostem et parricidam Vitellium vocantes,
providentissimus quisque vulgaribus conviciis, -
this could be a kind of addition to vocantes. "sententia" of first was that Vitelius is an enemy, every person that is more careful used more common reproaches. But that ablative here ... I thought of it as an ablative of means. But then the verb is actually missing ...
quidam vera probra iacere, - from singular we move back to plural. :confused: Some of them were throwing forward true disgrace deeds. Again: historic infinitive or 3rd person plural?
in clamore tamen et ubi plurimae voces, aut tumultu verborum sibi ipsi obstrepentes. obstrepentes i guess goes with iacere. Here is so many words with kind of same meaning ... But in shouting, where (there are?)many voices, or in the uproar of words shouting to themselves. That's just confused ... :brickwall:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess the subject is vocantes.
Not really. It's just "they".
I was taking infinitives as historic infinitives
That's right.
now I thought it could be also 3rd person plural
Vocare and torquere can't be third person plural (vocavere and torsere would be).
providentissimus quisque vulgaribus conviciis, - this could be a kind of addition to vocantes.
I guess you can say that. Anyway, it's part of the "they" subject.
But that ablative here ... I thought of it as an ablative of means.
That's right too.
But then the verb is actually missing ...
Some earlier verb is still implied there, maybe versare and torquere.
quidam vera probra iacere, - from singular we move back to plural. :confused: Some of them were throwing forward true disgrace deeds. Again: historic infinitive or 3rd person plural?
Infinitive. Iacere can't be third person plural.
in clamore tamen et ubi plurimae voces, aut tumultu verborum sibi ipsi obstrepentes. obstrepentes i guess goes with iacere. Here is so many words with kind of same meaning ... But in shouting, where (there are?)many voices, or in the uproar of words shouting to themselves. That's just confused ... :brickwall:
I guess the idea is that they did this among shouting, with many other voices yelling at the same time, so that among all that confusion of words it's as if they were shouting at themselves... they couldn't be heard by the others.