Roman Coins - Virtual Catalog

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I chose to post this in the study resources section because most of the Roman coins have short sayings and abbreviations on them that are fairly simple to read.

Coins were a main method of political propaganda, and had to be able to be read by the common people, therefore, the writing on them is not intricate or complex. Some of them are worn out and hard to read, but others are very well preserved.

The Virtual Catalog of Roman Coins is a wonderful website with high resolution pictures of the fronts and backs of Roman coins. You can select them by date, emperor, and various other means.

If you are learning Latin, and become frustrated with translating long sentences, and need a nice study break with some shorter phrases and sayings, try this website out.

The only other resource that is helpful is a list of abbreviations that were commonly used in Roman inscriptions. Here is a link to a long list of the most common. Coins have limited space, and so to convey longer messages, sometimes abbreviations are used, i.e. AVG=Augustus, or IMP=Imperator.

Click here to be taken to the virtual catalog of Roman Coins.

Some of you may already know of this, and I apologize if it has been posted about before.