"Rise Above"

A

Anonymous

i have recently became a non-smoker. very proud of the progress i have made. i decided to get a tattoo to signify this moment in my life. i have decided to get a 'phoenix' to represent the rebirth or new beginning that i am starting. with that tattoo i want to add the phrase "rise above" in latin. i want it to mean that i have overcome it, that i have conqured it, that i have moved beyond cigarettes that i am now a better person because of it.

the translation i came up with is :

"orior oriri ortus supernus"

or

i might even say "ego semper orior oriri ortus supernus"

is this right? am i using it in the right context?

any help would be greatly appreaciated

thanks in advance

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Re: Help with "Rise Above"

What you've found is a dictionary listing of what Latinists call the "principal parts" of a verb. They are merely the four main forms of the verb that tell us how to derive all other forms and in no way form a coherent sentence. To say "I have risen above" in the sense of having overcome a challenge or personal vice, I would simply say "vici," as in the famous phrase "veni, vidi, vici."

A

Anonymous

what im looking for is something that is aimed more towards the future. instead of "i have risen above" i would rather have something like "i will rise above". would the "vici" still work in that sense?

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not quite. "I will rise above" translates to "vincam."

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

You could say: Vincam omnia (I shall conquer everything), or if you want it rendered literally, then:
Vincam super omnia.