PRO DEUS QUOD LICENTIA

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I'm back at it again. This time, I'm asking for Pro Deus Quod Licentia. If you could, tell me the literal meaning as well as what it could mean metaphorically.

Perhaps it is " To God for License", but "To God through Science" is Pro Deus Ad Scientia(m), and I just want some experienced praetors on the field with me for this one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It doesn't really mean anything. It's ungrammatical. Maybe someone was attempting to say something with it, but it's difficult to guess their intention from the words alone. Where does it come from?

Pro deus ad scientia(m) is ungrammatical too. It doesn't mean "To God through science", though it may have been a botched attempt at saying that.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Let me make it clear:
Pro Deus quod Licentia comes from a video game, Uncharted 4. So, probably just wrong on their part.
Second, what I mean is:
AD DEUM PER SCIENTIAM

not
PRO DEUS AD SCIENTIAM

I know that the pro one is wrong, I wasn't thinking anyone would bring it up lol, as it was just an example of conflict.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

OK. In what context in the game does the phrase Pro Deus quod Licentia appear? Are there any possible clues in the context as to what may have been meant?

Actually, I'm thinking maybe what was meant was "For God and Freedom". That sounds like a likely enough motto. One aweful machine translator called Intertran routinely mistranslates "and" to quod, so maybe it comes from there or another similar machine translator.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

(Good Heavens, don't use profanity on this site. Why would you consciously type the word "Intertran"?)

The saying is used as a cool "ancient" motto. A long time ago, I went to the dictionary, and I gathered " For God, because of the sake of Liberty."

I know, I know, really expansive on the already ungrammatical sentence.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Whoa. This is under the Incorrect/Pseudo-Latin Phrases now. Fast workers, fast workers.