Present participles and agreement

A

Anonymous

Hello

I'm transcribing manorial documents, most of which were written in Latin before the 1730s. One difficulty (of many) is that manorial scribes used a wide-ranging set of abbreviations. As a result, many endings are missing from words, and a good knowledge of Latin grammar is needed to reconstitute them.

As an example, I've taken a sentence from a manorial entry. The original, with abbreviations, is as follows:

Ac eciam de et in quadraginat & trib acr et una roda plus vel minus tre arrabilis & fundi pastural voc Sward ground cum ptin jacen dispersim in campis de Pirton pda particularit mentionat et express in terrar sive schedul geren dat vicesimo quinto die Novembr Anno rni Dni Caroli Scd nup Regis Angl

I've extended the abbreviated words but have some difficulty with the agreement of participles:

Ac eciam de et in quadraginata & tribus acris et una roda plus vel minus terre arrabilis & fundi pasturalis vocat[?] Sward ground cum pertinentiis jacent[?] dispersim in campis de Pirton predicta particulariter mentionat[?] et express[?] in terrario sive schedulo gerent[?] dato vicesimo quinto die Novembris Anno regni Domini Caroli Secundi nuper Regis Anglie

1. Vocat[?] refers to 2 nouns, terre and fundi.

(a) Should vocatum be genitive plural, referring to both terre and fundi, or singular, referring to fundi as the closest noun?

(b) Since terre and fundi are inanimate nouns of mixed gender, should vocatum take a neuter ending?

2. I have similar questions relating to Jacens, mencionatus and expressus

3. Again, should gerens agree with both terrario and schedulo or schedulo only?

I'd very much appreciate your help.

Many thanks

Richard

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

1. Vocat[?] refers to 2 nouns, terre and fundi.

(a) Should vocatum be genitive plural, referring to both terre and fundi, or singular, referring to fundi as the closest noun?
If you're sure the land and farm are equivalent to "Sward Ground", then it should be vocatorum. However, if Sward Ground itself is actually 43 acres in size, I'd say this should be vocatis to agree with acris (= "acres"). Not sure about una roda plus vel minus...is this a common phrase in these type of documents?
(b) Since terre and fundi are inanimate nouns of mixed gender, should vocatum take a neuter ending?
It's probably overthinking it to worry too much about this; I'd stick with vocatorum, given the caveat above.
2. I have similar questions relating to Jacens, mencionatus and expressus
Again, I'm not familiar with the terms here; I assume pertinentiis is a designation of land meaning something like "connected lands"; if so, I'd say jacentibus - "lying" is correct. For the second and third , I'd assume they are mentionatis et expressis - "mentioned and laid out", referring back to campis.
3. Again, should gerens agree with both terrario and schedulo or schedulo only?
I'm not familiar with these words ("survey or proclamation"?), but I think it's gerente here, given the presence of sive.

I'm not completely sure I understand all of this, but that's the best I can do...anyone with more experience in these documents is more than welcome to correct.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Could roda be a rood (1/4 acre)?
43 + 1/4 acres, plus or minus (more or less)?