Oxford Latin Grammar

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Princeps doesn't really bring the idea of emperor to mind. I would have said imperator, but then again, maybe it's just me.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

An imperator, literally ‘commander’, was a general. It’s my understanding that it only became the normal term for an emperor in quite a late period. Augustus started hogging imperator for himself, but the idea was still that he had the credit for military victories.

Right from the start, civilian power was claimed by appropriating the Republican title of princeps senatūs.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Oxford dixit:
Time clauses

1. 6. She left the city before I saw her.
    7. She left the city before I saw her.

1. 6. Ex urbe ante discessit/discesserat quam eam vidi.
    7. Vrbem reliquit priusquam eam viderem.
The second one is supposed to say ‘could see’ in the question.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It all looks fine to me. Except...
Cursor Nictans dixit:
[*]Although they hate the emperor, they still obey him.
[*]Cum principem odierint, nihilominus obœdiunt.
The job of clarifying that cum is concessive, is naturally done by tamen, so using nihilominus feels strange, overemphatic.
For odierint read oderint

Cursor Nictans dixit:
[*]Dum hæc Romæ aguntur, consules ambo in Liguribus gerebant bellum.
[*]While this was going on in Rome, both consuls were waging war against the Ligurians.
No criticism here: it's just got me wondering. The way you've translated it sounds like the original Latin should have had 'agebantur' (for co-extensive events). Since it has 'aguntur' (for longer events in the course of which other things happened), how do we understand the imperfect 'gerebant'? Or to put it another way: is there a way of translating it to show that the war-waging is a shorter-term event than the background events at Rome?
While this was going on in Rome...
... the camera moves to the consuls, who were -- aha! -- in the middle of war-operations
... the consuls began to wage war

or do we just ignore it as insignificant -- say on the grounds that 'dum haec aguntur' had become such a fossilized phrase, virtually equivalent to 'meanwhile', that no-one thought much about the logic of using the present tense.
No agenda here, just don't know.
Matthaeus dixit:
Princeps doesn't really bring the idea of emperor to mind. I would have said imperator, but then again, maybe it's just me.
The problem may be that the regime (particularly in the early stages, particularly for the benefit of the ruling class) was so coy, and used euphemisms or decoy-words to express the idea of the man we all know really runs things. In modern times we refer to the 'princeps', as an acknowledgement of this coyness and evasion; though it is not necessarily the default word the Romans themselves used. Possibly the only consistent word, at least for the period I know anything about, was "Caesar".

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Although the Rome stuff is presented as the context, and the Liguria stuff as the main action, I suspect that the former actually occurred in the course of the latter. It’s not the ‘exactly as long as’ meaning, requiring the tenses to match. So what tense ought to be used in that situation?

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cursor Nictans dixit:
As I said, it explains that words such as ubi work like that. The full list given is ubi, ut, simul ac, simul atque, quotiens, quoties. Cum works differently from other time conjunctions and is covered in the next chapter.
OK, I've got some confirmation from Woodcock that ubi can be used for repeated actions, and a quote: illi qui moenia defensabant, ubi hostes pugnam remiserant, intenti proelium equestre prospectabant (Sall. Jug. 60.3) = Whenever the enemy slackened the fight, those who were defending the walls eagerly watched the cavalry-battle.
(context indicates that the slackening occurred repeatedly)

As for the dum question,
Cursor Nictans dixit:
Although the Rome stuff is presented as the context, and the Liguria stuff as the main action, I suspect that the former actually occurred in the course of the latter. It’s not the ‘exactly as long as’ meaning, requiring the tenses to match. So what tense ought to be used in that situation?
...the sentence is an adaptation of Livy (39.1), where, yes, the war with the Ligurians has been going on for a while; the events at Rome have not been going on for longer than the Ligurian war. And Livy is by definition 'right'. But I'll have to get back to you about what to make of this.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Oxford dixit:
Because, although, as if
  1. Romani quamquam itinere fessi erant, tamen obviam hostibus processerunt.
  2. Aristides nonne ob eam causam expulsus est patria quod præter modum justus esset?
  3. Quamvis sis molestus, numquam te esse confitebor malum.
  4. H[i-long:21bnr5io][/i-long:21bnr5io]c est obstandum, milites, velut si ante Romana mœnia pugnemus.
  5. Quintum pænitet quod animum tuum offendit.
  6. Tanta est tempestas quantam numquam antea vidi.
  7. I was extremely happy that my husband had died.
  8. Although I was walking fast, I could not avoid the bore.
  9. However fast you walk, you will not escape me.
  10. He was praised because he had saved the state; but in fact Cicero did that.
  11. He was praised not because he had saved the state but because he wrote good poems.
  12. He looked as if he was sick, but in fact he was angry.
  1. Although the Romans were tired from the journey, they went on to meet the enemy.
  2. Wasn’t Aristides ostracised precisely because he was just beyond measure?
  3. However troublesome you may be, I shall never concede that you are evil.
  4. Here we must make a stand, soldiers, as though we were fighting before the walls of Rome.
  5. Quintus is sorry for hurting your feelings.
  6. I’ve never seen such a great storm before.
  7. Valde gavisa sum quod maritus mortuus erat.
  8. Quamquam cito ambulabam, molestum illum vitare non potui.
  9. Quamvis cito ambules, me non effugies.
  10. Laudatus est quod rem publicam servavisset; re vera autem Cicero id fecit.
  11. Laudatus est non quod rem publicam servavisset sed quia bona carmina scribebat.
  12. Quasi æger videbatur, sed re vera iratus erat.

B

Bitmap

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Although I was walking fast, I could not avoid the bore.
this sounds like it would fit into a poem of Horace ... I think the ibam forte via thing ... could it be? :>

gavisa sum
you're being sexist ;P

Laudatus est quod rem publicam servavisset; re vera autem Cicero id fecit.
nothing wrong with that ... but while I'm writing a response, anyway: It occured to me that you can do away with the autem + id in elegant fashion by using a relative thingy thing (not clause but the other thing ... uhm, don't know what it's called in English, sorry... in a way you could also take it for a relative clause here:) quod re vera Cicero fecit (in this version it must not have the autem, though)

Laudatus est non quod rem publicam servavisset sed quia bona carmina scribebat.
I found this one a bit puzzling because I would have written serva(ve)rat, but that would require him really to have saved the state as an actual fact which is known to (and written from the view-point of) the author. Now, servavisset reflects the point of view of those praising him and the opinion they have about him rather than an actual fact. is that right?

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

I don’t know what a thingy thing is.

Bitmap dixit:
I found this one a bit puzzling because I would have written serva(ve)rat, but that would require him really to have saved the state as an actual fact which is known to (and written from the view-point of) the author. Now, servavisset reflects the point of view of those praising him and the opinion they have about him rather than an actual fact. is that right?
The book says:

rejected reasons go with non quod or non quo + subjunctive;

alleged reasons go with quod + subjunctive;

real reasons go with quod or quia + indicative.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Aristides nonne ob eam causam expulsus est patria quod præter modum justus esset?
Wasn’t Aristides ostracised precisely because he was just beyond measure?
It might be worth signalling the point of the subjunctive 'esset', "because, people said, he was just beyond measure". But I admit it might be a bit heavy-handed. "On the grounds that..." could do it.
Cursor Nictans dixit:
Bitmap dixit:
The book says:

rejected reasons go with non quod or non quo + subjunctive;

alleged reasons go with quod + subjunctive;

real reasons go with quod or quia + indicative.
I stumbled over this one too, reasoning that the rejected reason was (like the real reason) not stated, so not part of virtual oratio obliqua. But it seems you are right. The idea being: they praised him not, (as you might suppose) because he had saved the state, but (in fact) because he wrote good poems.

Bitmap dixit:
this sounds like it would fit into a poem of Horace ... I think the ibam forte via thing ... could it be? :>
Evidently that's where the idea comes from. But I don't think Horace ever actually used a word for 'bore', except garrulus. Actually, why not garrulus?

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Oxford dixit:
Quin & quominus
  1. Non dubitari debet quin fuerint ante Homerum poetæ.
  2. Non deterret sapientem mors quominus in omne tempus rei publicæ consulat.
  3. Facere non possum quin litteras cottidie ad te mittam.
  4. Nihil abest quin sim miserrimus.
  5. Impedivit eam conjunx quominus amatorem viseret.
  6. I almost died laughing.
  7. Who can prevent me from leaving Rome?
  8. I could not help admiring your poems.
  9. It is due to me that you are so rich.
  10. Everyone knows that Homer was the greatest of poets.
  1. It mustn’t be doubted that there were poets before Homer.
  2. Death does not deter a wise man from caring for the State at all times.
  3. I can’t help sending you letters every day.
  4. I am nothing short of absolutely miserable.
  5. He stopped his wife from going to see her lover.
  6. Haud multum afui[t] quin ridendo morerer.
  7. Quis me impedire quominus Roma exeam potest?
  8. Facere non poteram/potui quin carmina tua admirarer.
  9. Per me stat ut tam dives sis.
  10. Nemo est quin Homerum fuisse summum poetarum sciat.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Non deterret sapientem mors quominus in omne tempus rei publicæ.
Death does not deter a wise man from caring for the State at all times.
I assume 'consulat' dropped off the end of the Latin (it's a quote from Cicero, Tusculan Disputations 1.91)
'in omne tempus' means 'for all time', not 'at all times' (i.e. the wise man makes provision (now) for the long-term well-being of the state).

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Back to 'dum'
socratidion dixit:
...the sentence is an adaptation of Livy (39.1), where, yes, the war with the Ligurians has been going on for a while; the events at Rome have not been going on for longer than the Ligurian war. And Livy is by definition 'right'. But I'll have to get back to you about what to make of this.
So here's my emended understanding of it:
1) when the tenses are the same (e.g. dum te exspectabam, librum legebam), there is, as we know, a strong emphasis on the idea that the two activities are exactly the same length: indeed, the main clause is dependent for its duration on the dum clause. The whole time I was waiting for you, I was reading a book; I started when you left, and as soon as you came, I stopped. As long as I live, I will love you. They held out while they had the strength.
2) when the dum clause has the present tense, there is simply no such emphasis. The events coincide, more or less. One may happen during the other, or vice versa, or overlapping. They may or may not be interdependent.

So the Livy passage just doesn't care exactly how long the Ligurian war was in comparison with events in Rome. They just happen at roughly the same time.

(following this logic, "While Cicero was alive, the republic had long been in decline" would come out as
Respublica ipsa, dum Cicero vivit, iam diu occidebat.
Hmm, does that sound right?)

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

socratidion dixit:
Evidently that's where the idea comes from. But I don't think Horace ever actually used a word for 'bore', except garrulus. Actually, why not garrulus?
Yeah, that would be OK. The book does say to use molestus ille though.

socratidion dixit:
'in omne tempus' means 'for all time', not 'at all times' (i.e. the wise man makes provision (now) for the long-term well-being of the state).
Ta. I had no idea what the expression meant, and just guessed.

socratidion dixit:
(Hmm, does that sound right?)
Yep, that’s the reasoning I was following.

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Oxford dixit:
Some,any, every, each, ever
  1. Disertos cognovi nonnullos, eloquentem neminem.
  2. Quidam de plebe prodiit ad orationem habendam.
  3. Si quis ita fecerit, pœnas dabit.
  4. Hæc aio nec quisquam negat.
  5. Boni sunt nescioquo modo amabiliores quam scelesti.
  6. Both sisters love (each sister loves) the same boy.
  7. Sometimes she comes to Rome; but soon she will stay here for some time.
  8. The general ordered every tenth man to be killed.
  9. Wherever you go, you will not avoid some bore or other.
  10. If any senator complains, I shall think about the matter again.
  1. I’ve met a few with some skill in expressing themselves, but nobody truly eloquent.
  2. Someone came forward out of the common citizenry to give a speech.
  3. If anyone does so, they will be punished.
  4. So say I, and no one says otherwise.
  5. The good are somehow more pleasant than bad people are.
  6. Vtraque soror eundem puerum amat.
  7. Aliquando Romam venit. Mox autem hīc aliquandiu manebit.
  8. Imperator jussit decimum quemque interfici.
    Imperator imperavit ut decimus quisque interficeret.
  9. Quoquo iveris, nescioquem molestum non evitabis.
  10. Si senator aliqui queretur, de re iterum cogitabo.
    Senatore aliquo questo, de re iterum cogitabo.

socratidion

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

(In number 8, read 'interficeretur' of course)
Number 9 feels weird, with another negative coming after nescioquem. I find myself unable to justify this feeling technically, nor am I sure that 'aliquem' would be an improvement.
(So what's the point in me saying it? Well I haven't had a good kicking lately...)

B

Bitmap

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Si senator aliqui queretur, de re iterum cogitabo.
I think the book wants you to write si quis senator. A form of aliquis with the ali after si is quite rare and not the most natural choice -- doesn't the book address that?

Do you find both temporal relationships acceptable? Your conditional clause has simultaneity, your abl. absolute has anteriority

socratidion dixit:
I find myself unable to justify this feeling technically, nor am I sure that 'aliquem' would be an improvement.
that's puzzling indeed, but I wouldn't want to follow up aliquem with a negative here - then again, non evitare is actually a double negative, which makes it positive again :p. I wonder what the book suggests for this kind of sentence

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
Cursor Nictans dixit:
Si senator aliqui queretur, de re iterum cogitabo.
I think the book wants you to write si quis senator. A form of aliquis with the ali after si is quite rare and not the most natural choice -- doesn't the book address that?
Ah, yes. This chapter is all about aliquis and suchlike, but for this sentence I should of course refer back to the chapter on conditionals.

Bitmap dixit:
Do you find both temporal relationships acceptable? Your conditional clause has simultaneity, your abl. absolute has anteriority
They both seem OK to me. Which one don’t you like?

B

Bitmap

Cursor Nictans dixit:
Bitmap dixit:
They both seem OK to me. Which one don’t you like?
That wasn't meant to be a correction