Organizational motto: Usually Prepared

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I made a special thread for your edification. I see that a lawyer is being threatened with sanctions after he did his research on ChatGPT.
There were multiple errors in every one of the 26 pages you posted. Your deleted post is akin to saying, "I am determined to be right, so I asked my 3 year old to check your work and here are his comments".

Gergus

In the field of statistics, there is risk from extrapolation beyond the range of the data; the risk is managed by changing assumptions and retesting. In the field of law, there is a risk of an argument that assumes facts not in evidence; the risk is managed by rigorous cross-examination.

Fake legal research, while sensational, is a clear misuse of the tool. That's not what I did. The 26 pages took 26 pages because of my best efforts to test, retest and cross-examine the responses. Latin is clearly a topic on which there is substantial information in the underlying dataset, still there were definitely errors: some I caught, some it caught itself, some not caught, some you and the others here would have caught.

The AI had (by definition) the patience to both translate and explain (and re-explain, and re-explain again) every Latin suggestion. This helped me. I found it interesting that it ended up suggesting phrases you suggested, and when fully explained, I got onboard.

ChatGPT is not a Latin scholar, nor is it a 3-year-old. It is also not Google Translate. It can deal with context, make fine-grained adjustments in response to careful questioning, and is accessible in a way that people often are not. At some point, a general tool of very high functionality will be more useful than a very specific tool that is hard to master.

An analogy might be a manual versus automatic transmission in a car. With a skilled operator, manual transmissions were for many years more fuel efficient, faster, etc. Today, the opposite is true. Yet, as a qualitative matter, I have zero interest in owning a car with an automatic transmission. At some point, when ICE is regulated away, I will have no choice but to drive an automatic EV. That will suck for me, while for nearly everyone else driving they will be fine with it, not knowing or caring about the lost art of heel-and-toe.

Clearly these matters are distasteful to you. It's your prerogative to ban, edify, scupper the bilge, or whatever. As Ken Kesey once said, though: If you've got it all together, what's that all around it?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The AI had (by definition) the patience to both translate and explain (and re-explain, and re-explain again) every Latin suggestion. This helped me. I found it interesting that it ended up suggesting phrases you suggested, and when fully explained, I got onboard.
The explanations were wrong. We do not allow misinformation on this site.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Both translations are accurate and acceptable. The choice between "machinam volaticam" and "machina volantica" depends on personal preference or stylistic considerations. In general, "machinam volaticam" might be slightly more common or preferred in classical Latin, while "machina volantica" is also widely used and can be found in later Latin literature.
===================
No -- the correct form depends on the grammatical function, not on personal preference or stylistic considerations.
================

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

the correct form depends on the grammatical function
This is of course the main point (ChatGPT seems to be generally clueless about Latin cases), but does "volantica" really exist? Can't find it in my dictionaries. Out of the 10 Google hits "volanticus" gets, only two are from Latin texts, so I assume it's a typo. It also looks like a mix between volatic(a) and volan(tem).

Gergus

"machinam volaticam" and "machina volantica"
Not sure how you're quoting my deleted post, but that's a cherry pick. It shortly thereafter corrected itself and ended up on machinam volantem.

While it stated repeatedly that there can be personal preference or stylistic considerations, it was also clear these should be from among grammatically correct translations. It caught some errors itself and disavowed the ones that were pointed out.

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Not sure how you're quoting my deleted post, but that's a cherry pick.
Have a look at the very last line that ChatGPT gave you. It contains three grammatical errors. You should be able to pick them because they have been pointed out to you in the thread and in the ChatGPT thread.

The big advantage of the AI suggestion is that it will give prospective customers prior warning as to what to expect from you.