numbers

Stephanus

Quot sunt qu[i-long:21y1x55z][/i-long:21y1x55z]nque et [u-long:21y1x55z][/u-long:21y1x55z]num?

Why is it [u-long:21y1x55z][/u-long:21y1x55z]num instead of [u-long:21y1x55z][/u-long:21y1x55z]nus?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It's just a plain number not signifying or modifying any noun.

Stephanus

Do you mean quot sunt qu[i-long:3ialc6kc][/i-long:3ialc6kc]nque et [u-long:3ialc6kc][/u-long:3ialc6kc]nus is also O.K.?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

nope, it has to be neuter because it isn't saying how much three or five of anything. klar?

Manus Correctrix

QVAE CORRIGIT

• Civis Illustris

Stephanus dixit:
Why is it [u-long:3ezbna95][/u-long:3ezbna95]num instead of [u-long:3ezbna95][/u-long:3ezbna95]nus?
Why would it be unus instead of unum?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

The number, as a noun rather than an adjective, is neuter.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

If you were saying numerus, it would be -us, but it's not necessarily implied. It's just the abstract concept of ūnum by itself.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Nikolaos dixit:
If you were saying numerus, it would be -us, but it's not necessarily implied. It's just the abstract concept of ūnum by itself.
This isn't really an abstract concept of number, though. A better way of putting it is that neuter is naturally the default gender when you're referring to some undefined thing. It's like you're saying "five things and one thing are how many things?"