Modern concepts

EX CALCEO

I was just wondering what we do when we run across modern concepts in Latin. Do we just explain the concepts in Latin or is there a modern Latin dictionary? I am also wondering about the contras (if any) between Medieval Latin, Late Latin, Classical Latin, or even Archaic Latin.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I remember Iynx and Cato deciding on a proper baseball vocabulary:
THREAD: #2941
THREAD: #1067
(There are a couple more threads that I haven't found)

There is also Latin computer dictionary:
http://obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

I'd say that if a certain type of terminology has no official translation, then we need to decide on a proper equivalent :)

Gregorius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, I'm particularly fond of experimenting with Latinizations of predominantly pop-cultural terms. Quite a while ago, I started a minor debate over whether Superman should be called "Supervir" or "Superhomo" or even if "super" could properly be used in this way. More recently, I came up with a proposed nomenclature for musical genres ("musica ruralis," for example, for country-western). Even more recently, my thread regarding random post-classical proverbs has been revived somewhat.

I also experiment with proper nouns (mainly personal names), coming up with such forms as "Gualterius Disneius" for Walt Disney or "Telora Suifta" for Taylor Swift.

EX CALCEO

Okay that all makes sense. Though I am still wondering about the contras between different periods of Latin. I was hoping someone could fill me in. Also can we use the vocabulary from different periods interchangeably? The reason I ask is I imagine that some words from the classical period would have evolved some once reaching the middle ages.

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

EX CALCEO dixit:
The reason I ask is I imagine that some words from the classical period would have evolved some once reaching the middle ages.
Definitely. Many Latin words are specific to the later periods.

EX CALCEO dixit:
Also can we use the vocabulary from different periods interchangeably?
In the perfect world - no. Practically.... I usually try not to use words that are marked as "Late" in dictionaries.

There are exceptions, of course...

Paulus Pastor Rufus

I remember Iynx and Cato deciding on a proper baseball vocabulary:
THREAD: #2941
THREAD: #1067
(There are a couple more threads that I haven't found)

Wow, a baseball dictionary! And here I was thinking of trying my hand at translating "Casey at the Bat" ...

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

I would read that, and even recite it, if it were in Latin. Despite my not being a sports fan, I like the original poem. Not least because of the quirky name of the town (Mudville). :cool:

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

I have a weakness/fondness for offbeat poetry. I love Lewis Carroll's poems such as "Jabberwocky".