Medieval saint's life, 14th c.

Martinus

Hic est non solum in omni specie logice discipli-
ne perfectissimus . stoicor(um)q(ue) et epicureor(um) . seu quo-
rumlibet philosophorum philosophissim(us) . nec(no)n
gramatice vacantium literatissim(us)et amplius
artificiosus . sive in ceteris varii generis discipli-
nis et studiis diligenter edoctus . verum etiam i(n)
virtutu(m) quadratura⁠ commendabilis ut p(er)f(e)c(t)us
[fol. 28r] prudentie dico et temperantie . fortidudinis et iusticie

I don't know what to do with "vacantium", and the "ut" in the second to last line. This is how far I got:

Not only does he excel in all branches of logic, of the stoics and the epicureans, or ranks as the greatest philosopher of any philosophers, is highly literate and skilled in grammar vacantium?, or diligently educated in various other disciplines and studies, but indeed truly, I say, praiseworthy in the fourfold virtue of prudence, temperance, fortitude, and justice.

Some context for this passage: It is a fourteenth-century version of Saint-Denis' (aka Pseudo-Dionysius') vita, produced in the abbey of Saint-Denis outside Paris and presented to Philip V, King of France, in 1317. (BnF, ms. fr. 2090). I vouch for the transcription.

I appreciate your help!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Hi,

grammatice vacantium = "of those who devote themselves to grammar"
commendabilis ut perfectus = "praiseworthy as (being) perfect", "praiseworthy for being perfect"

There are a few other issues in your translation:

- stoicor(um)q(ue) et epicureor(um) must be taken with philosophissim(us), just like seu quorumlibet philosophorum = "and the greatest philosopher among stoics and epicureans or any [other] philosophers".

- dico here is to be translated as "I mean" or "that is"/"namely", and should remain in the part of the sentence where it is in the Latin. I might translate verum etiam i(n) virtutu(m) quadratura⁠ commendabilis ut p(er)f(e)c(t)us prudentie dico et temperantie . fortidudinis et iusticie as "but also praiseworthy for his perfection in the square of virtues (the set of four virtues), I mean/namely prudence, temperance, fortitude, and justice."