Homework Lots of accusativi

henkt

Is there someone who can help me to unravel this sentence (Oerberg, Romana Aeterna, 148)
Eum consensum deosque consociatos laudabat Servius inter primores Latinorum, cum quibus publicie privatimque hospitia amicitiasque iunxerat. (Livy,I,45)
I thought to start with "Servius laudabat" and to continue my translation with an "Accusativus cum infinitivo". I see a lot of accusativi, maybe I have to add to "consensum" "esse" ? If this is the case with which accusative to continue? Perseus,tufts doesn't help a lot ...
Help in German, English, French or Spanish suits me.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Eum consensum is merely a noun phrase, but you can kind of treat deosque consociatos as if there were an esse there. I say "kind of" because I doubt esse is really implied, but the meaning isn't very different from what it would be with esse. Servius isn't praising deos who happen to be consociati; he's praising the fact that the dei are consociati. In English, you can render that (non-literally) with a verbal noun such as "alliance" or "uniting" + "of gods".

henkt

Eum consensum is merely a noun phrase, but you can kind of treat deosque consociatos as if there were an esse there. I say "kind of" because I doubt esse is really implied, but the meaning isn't very different from what it would be with esse. Servius isn't praising deos who happen to be consociati; he's praising the fact that the dei are consociati. In English, you can render that (non-literally) with a verbal noun such as "alliance" or "uniting" + "of gods".
Could you, please, give me an example of how you would translate this sentence. I see you are from Belgium, so you could give an Dutch translation as well. Or is that against the rules of this forum? If there are any, where could I find them?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Using languages other than English isn't against the rules, but my Dutch wouldn't be up to it (I'm a Walloon not very good at Dutch). What is against the rules, though, is doing people's homework for them. We can give pointers but we aren't supposed to just do all the work. So let's see if I can help you to come up with your own translation, taking the big sentence one bit at a time.

Servius laudabat: you probably know what this means already?

Eum consensum: consensum is a noun (accusative singular of consensus, consensus) modified by the demonstrative eum. Knowing this, do you have an idea how to translate the part eum consensum Servius laudabat?

henkt

Let me give it a try, first in Dutch: Servius prees deze gelijkgezindheid * en de overeenkomstige goden** als hij verkeerde tussen de voornaamsten van de Latijnen met wie hij zowel privee als publiekelijk vriendschappelijk en gastvrij omging. (*tussen Romeinen en Efeziërs, die samen aan de tempel van Diana zouden hebben gebouwd; **Diana en Artemis van Efeze). Servius louait cette union de sentiments et la similarité des déesses dans ses rapports avec les Latins avec les quels il fraternitait à la fois en privé et en public.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Servius louait cette union de sentiments et la similarité des déesses dans ses rapports avec les Latins avec les quels il fraternitait à la fois en privé et en public.
That's not too bad, but:

- Deos is masculine (the feminine—goddesses, déesses—would be deas). But you seem to have gotten the gender right in the Dutch version.

- Consociatos isn't about "similarity" but about uniting (the fact that different peoples had "united their gods", in a way: they had built a common place of worship).

- You've left out primores here, but it's there in the Dutch, so fine.
*tussen Romeinen en Efeziërs
No, but rather among the various Asian cities that had built the temple at Ephesus together, as said in the previous sentence (iam tum erat inclutum fanum Dianae Ephesi; id communiter a civitatibus Asiae factum fama ferebat). Servius kept praising what the Asian cities did until he persuaded the Latins to do the same thing together with the Romans.

henkt

Thanks for the explanation. Now I see where my confusion came from (eum is not a personal but demonstrative pronoun) and I did not see that it was about working together in stead of making war. In Dutch: "eendracht maakt macht". Am I correct stating that Servius was acting with a hidden agenda?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I have an inkling that you're telling the truth (or you'd have to be a very clever cheater).

I was thrown by the "homework" tag in the thread title.

henkt

I have an inkling that you're telling the truth (or you'd have to be a very clever cheater).

I was thrown by the "homework" tag in the thread title.
Being 78 years old I'm a student who no longer knows how to cheat a impressive teacher like you.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Being 78 years old I'm a student who no longer knows how to cheat a impressive teacher like you.
You are wise, my friend, but don't bother flattering her. She will only treat you plus durement. :pirate-plank: