Homework: Troiani cum suis deis, Laribus et Penatibus...

A

Anonymous

Troiani cum suis deis, Laribus et Penatibus, de oppido, Troia, navigaverunt. "Novam Troiam" petere iussi erant. Primo ad Thraciam navigaverunt. Polydorus, Troianus, qui (who) a Graecis interfectus erat, ex tumulo vocavit. "Thracia non est locus novi oppidi Troianae Aeneadae". In insula Delos, oraculum dixit, "Petite antiquam matrem." Anchises in memoria tenuit, "Teucer, progenitor Troianus, a Creta navigavit. Creta erit nostra patria". Sed post Troiani annum malorum in insula Creta in oppido Pergamo sustinuerunt (endured, perfect tense), Lares in somno ad Aeneam venerunt. "Creta non est vestra patria. Est patria -- nomine Hesperia aut Italia. Erat patria Dardani, progenitoris Troianorum. Vestra patria ibi est."

Magnus ventus navigia Troiana ad terram Harpyiarum iecit. Celaeno etiam Italiam "Novam Troiam" vocavit. Ad Actium Helenus, filius regis Priami, habitabat. Helenus erat augur et dixit, "Vestra terra est Ausonia. Sed primum circum Siciliam navigate et tum ad Cumam procedite. In illa terra suem albam cum triginta porcellis invenietis. Ibi erit vestra Nova Troia.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

mgoing dixit:
Troiani cum suis deis, Laribus et Penatibus, de oppido, Troia, navigaverunt. "Novam Troiam" petere iussi erant. Primo ad Thraciam navigaverunt. Polydorus, Troianus, qui (who) a Graecis interfectus erat, ex tumulo vocavit. "Thracia non est locus novi oppidi Troianae Aeneadae". In insula Delos, oraculum dixit, "Petite antiquam matrem." Anchises in memoria tenuit, "Teucer, progenitor Troianus, a Creta navigavit. Creta erit nostra patria". Sed post Troiani annum malorum in insula Creta in oppido Pergamo sustinuerunt (endured, perfect tense), Lares in somno ad Aeneam venerunt. "Creta non est vestra patria.
I'm afraid I agree with Jason, Mgoing. Tell you what-- I'll start it. Then you tell us what's going on. Then we'll finish it together.

The Trojans with their gods, their Lares and their Penantes, sailed from the town of Troy. They were ordered to seek "New Troy". First they sailed to Thrace. Polydorus, a Trojan who had been killed by the Greeks, called from the grave: "Thrace is not the place for the new town, O Trojans, O Followers of Aeneas!" In the isle of Delos the oracle said: "Seek ye the ancient mother". Anchises held in memory: "Teucer, the Trojan progenitor, sailed from Crete. Crete is our fatherland." But after the Trojans had endured a year of evils in the the island of Crete, in the town of Pergamum, the Lares came to Aeneas in a dream: "Crete is not your fatherland."

Note: I read petete for petite. Could be a word-processor "correction"?

Now, Mgoing, you may wonder what makes Jason (and I) suspect that we are doing someone's homework here. One point is that you've left English glosses in the text ("who", and "endured, perfect tense"). Another is the artificial, oversimplified syntax ("See Aeneas. See Aeneas run.").

I do wish that teachers would not inflict stuff like this on capable young minds. There are plenty of easy but meaningful "real" Latin texts suitable for beginning instruction. Most of them are post-classical, it is true. But surely we can do better than this.

Don't get us wrong, Mgoing. We are happy to help people with homework. In a sense this forum consists in large part of people helping one another with homework. But it's better (I think) if we try it ourselves, and ask for help when we get stuck. If this isn't homework, tell us what's up. If it is homework, why don't you try the next part, and the rest of us will suggest improvements.

And tell me: is the word really petete?

A

Anonymous

homework

Yes it is homework, and I know I should do it myself but I had just found out I need to have finished all my work by this friday and was in a panic because I still have a module and a half to finish (it's an online course, another reason I tried this because if I fail the class I have to pay about $400 and I don't have the money). By the way it is petite.

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

OK, don't panic. Non pavitate. Give the next sentence a shot, so we can see where you are.

Est patria -- nomine Hesperia aut Italia. Erat patria Dardani, progenitoris Troianorum. Vestra patria ibi est.

Start with "The fatherland is..."

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Well, I'm sorry to see that mgoing seems to have given up on us. I hope he manages to get his modules fininshed.

I learned something anyway; I would have sworn the verb was peteo, and of the IInd. Finally did what I should have done to begin with, and looked it up.

A

Anonymous

didn't

I didn't give up. I finished that assignment. the second paragraph had to be the literal translation, that's easy. But hank you for the with the first paragraph.

By the way I a GIRL. Just thought you should know, I don't like being mistaken for a boy. :D

Iynx

Consularis

• Consularis

Congratulations mgoing! And I'm sorry about the gender thing. Let me rephrase my remark: I'm glad she got her modules done!

Don't be a stranger now-- come back often.

A

Anonymous

Re: can any one translate this?

I actually joined this forum to get help with this very same assignment. I was having problems with the sentence ""Novam Troiam" petere iussi erant." I didn't realize until I read part of the translation here that "iussi" was a verb,

Chamaeleo

Re: can any one translate this?

Whitaker’s Words will tell you the grammar of any individual word.