Greek philosophical terms in Latin

Claudilla

I'm trying to write simple Latin sentences about the Stoics, Epicureans, Cynics etc...but ironically I'm rather stumped as I'm not sure what the terms are for: telos, eudaimonia are. I don't have Greek but read books in English with these terms so now I'm stuck as I'm trying to say that the telos of Epicureanism is ataraxia (I think quies) and voluptas whereas for Aristotle and the Stoics it is virtus.

So I'd love some help. Is the Latin for telos, summum bonum ? And suggestions for book about this would be greatly appreciated!

Arca Defectionis

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not well versed in Latin translations of philosophy, so this is speculation, but I would be surprised if τέλος weren't simply translated as finis ("end"), which is what it literally means in Greek.

For εὐδαιμονία, I would use beatitudo, since εὐδαίμων emphasizes "blessedness" (by a "good spirit") - and it also preserves, to some degree anyway, the derivation from εὖ, since beatus is derived from the same root as bene.

Quies may be as good as you get for ἀταραξία, but the latter has a negative element, making it more sophisticated than the Latin - "unperturbed-ness, undaunted-ness" - which is hard to render even into English.

Keep in mind that particularly in philosophical texts, many educated Roman writers would shamelessly intersperse directly lifted Greek terms in their work - generally in Greek script, but sometimes also transliterated. So eudaemonia and ataraxia may be options as well.

Elagabalus

I think summum bonum refers to the Greek τὸ ἀγαθόν.

τέλος, if I remember correctly, is what Cicero refers to in his De finibus bonorum et malorum. So it would be finis, like Arca Defectionis said.

Claudilla

thank you all that was very helpful indeed, finis and beatitudo are just what I needed. As for the Epicurean terms, I'd read a text that discussed the Roman production of epicurean vocabulary these were commonly used terms:
hortulus
contubernium
contubernales
quies
voluptas

Claudilla

this isn't Greek but I'm looking for the Latin for Seneca's oft-quoted virtue is sufficient for happiness and please point me to any collections of basic Latin Stoic maxims as I'm writing now about Stoicism in easy Latin sentences. And I've looked but I just get the English or Greek with no reference, arg.