good latin books?

MrKennedy

I have a book called New Latin Course Part 1 by Marchant a Watson (1938). It takes a very old fashioned approach with the chapters based around the differing aspects of the grammar (1st declension, 1st conjugation etc) while introducing the vocabulary at a gradual pace. It includes a Summary of Grammar and an English-Latin, Latin-English vocabulary at the back as well as the obligatory sections on Roman history and culture (with pictures). Taking Part One and Part Two together they apparently bring you ‘some way beyond G.C.E Ordinary Level’.

I would recommend it although I have had to supplement it with, the much easier and slower paced, Cambridge Latin Course; I will defiantly try and get Marchant and Watson's other books. Their examples to translate (in both English and Latin) are lengthy and genuinely superb although no answers exist.

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

By the way, I recant completely what I said about Wheelock's. I now think that Learn to Read Latin is a far better text and offers a more comprehensive and in depth approach.

A

Anonymous

I started with the Cambridge Latin Course. I read all the way through to Book 5 but got bored of it; the stories were terrible. I then started reading Teach Yourself Latin in 24 Hours in Borders.The Latin extracts were wonderful to read, but I was too cheap to buy the book.Eventually someone bought it and I found out that it was out of print. I moved on to Schaum's Latin Grammar and got through most of that; it was very helpful. Then I borrowed Teach Yourself Latin from my library and got through to Unit 9, until I lost the book. I haven't returned to the library since to explain this loss.To my good fortune, someone bought me the book for my birthday, and I have been working through it since.Although my progress has been stop-start,I am blessed to have read a variety of books.I recommend Teach Yourself Latin and Reading Latin.