For Pacifica - random quotes on Arabic and Qur'an

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

:(

I can only sympathize with them. I mean, if you have those kinds of beliefs, sadness is only a natural reaction.
Yes, it means they really care about you. Unlike the other kind of ’pity’ which is really disguised self-righteousness and the certainty that one holds the absolute truth and everybody else is retarded.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

They would protest, of course, but in my eyes it makes them kinder than their God.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It's a bit of a mystery to me how they can feel distressed at the idea of you going to hell, and at the same time still think their God is just (and therefore right to send you to hell). Maybe it's something like the feeling of a mother who sees her murderous son jailed? Well, you can replace "mother" and "son" with two friends or whatever. The example of the mother just came to my mind first somehow but it may not be the best parallel.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

It's a bit of a mystery to me how they can feel distressed at the idea of you going to hell, and at the same time still think their God is just (and therefore right to send you to hell). Maybe it's something like the feeling of a mother who sees her murderous son jailed?
I'd say it's more that they aren't sensitive to this paradox. I have (or had) devout relatives who worry about the ultimate fate of other people, but they don't question the justice of it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A funny question just popped up in my mind. Muslims believe jinn were there before humans, right? Did jinn coexist with the dinosaurs?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فذهب إلى حماية الروم، وأمر المسلمين فحضروا بين فصيلي باب المدينة. وأغلق دونهم الأبواب نكالا لهم

Is auxilio Christianis iit. Musulmanos ad portam urbis adesse iussit, ac fores post eos in ipsorum documentum clausit.

I still don't know what to make of فصيلي... so I left it untranslated.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Perhaps the city gate is some kind of a tunnel with doors at either end, and the governor trapped the Muslims in between (rather than shutting them out of the city) and this is what فصيلي is about? Maybe the rest of the story will clarify...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فأنكر الناس ذلك وأعظموه، وكسروا الباب، وثاروا إلى منزل الوالي، فتحصن منهم، وقاتلهم من أعلاه، وطير الحمام بالخبر إلى الملك الناصر، فبعث أميرا يعرف بالجمالي، ثم أتبعه أميرا يعرف بطوغان، جبارا قاسي القلب متهما في دينه

I'm not sure I get those epithets right. "Hard-hearted and of dubious religiousness (literally 'suspected in his religion')"? Is that the idea?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I wondered too, then it occurred to me that it was probably laid on the floor like that only for display/for the picture.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

What happens in Arabic when an "it" refers to an antecedent of one gender but takes a predicate complement of the other? Does it agree with the antecedent or with the predicate complement? For example:

"The church was built and then it was blablaba and now it's a mosque." Would "it's a mosque" be هي مسجد (agreement with the antecedent كنيسة) or هو مسجد (agreement with the predicate مسجد)?

In Latin, the agreement is most often made with the predicate complement. I'm not sure about Arabic.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is this sentence correct? I was only guessing (trying to convey that a particular building was among the most beautiful he'd shared pictures of; literally "this is among the most beautiful of what you've shared").

هذا من أجمل ما شاركتَه

I was referring to this magnificent building:
317893251_1128544451171011_387502020588322954_n.jpg

317247715_536417328073719_8202547446258042955_n.jpg

316053581_1513441799155528_104771059889793688_n.jpg

It's in Egypt; maybe interprete was lucky enough to see it in real life?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I thought this might sound good in Arabic because of the dual.

سائران خير من سائر

?

I hesitated whether to add articles.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Apparently it works for addressing a doctor, so your addressee needn't be royalty at least:

w.PNG

Can you simply use it to address respectfully enough anyone whom you don't know well?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A funny question just popped up in my mind. Muslims believe jinn were there before humans, right? Did jinn coexist with the dinosaurs?
I don’t think they believe in dinosaurs... I mean the really traditional ones.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فذهب إلى حماية الروم، وأمر المسلمين فحضروا بين فصيلي باب المدينة. وأغلق دونهم الأبواب نكالا لهم

Is auxilio Christianis iit. Musulmanos ad portam urbis adesse iussit, ac fores post eos in ipsorum documentum clausit.

I still don't know what to make of فصيلي... so I left it untranslated.
According to the dictionary it refers to some kind of doors found before or after city walls. No idea what it actually looks like though.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فأنكر الناس ذلك وأعظموه، وكسروا الباب، وثاروا إلى منزل الوالي، فتحصن منهم، وقاتلهم من أعلاه، وطير الحمام بالخبر إلى الملك الناصر، فبعث أميرا يعرف بالجمالي، ثم أتبعه أميرا يعرف بطوغان، جبارا قاسي القلب متهما في دينه

I'm not sure I get those epithets right. "Hard-hearted and of dubious religiousness (literally 'suspected in his religion')"? Is that the idea?
متهم more often means ’accused’ but I guess that’s the overall meaning...