For Pacifica - random quotes on Arabic and Qur'an

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

بها ما شئت من تحسين وتحصين، ومآثر دنيا ودين، كرمت مغانيها، ولطفت معانيها، وجمعت بين الضخامة والإحكام مبانيها
Suddenly it sounds like it's no longer ibn Battuta but rather his scribe speaking :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فهي الفريدة في تجلى سناها، والخريدة تجلى في حلاها

Laborious deciphering here. As often, I'm not even sure I'm getting the right definitions for the words.

Let me start with what I think might be a very literal translation: "it is unique in the showing of its gleam, and chaste in showing in her ornaments."

Now let me try a conjecture as to what it could really mean: "it gleams all over like no other city, but there's a certain modesty in its ornaments (it's elegant like a beautiful virgin, not garish like a whore)"?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فهي الفريدة في تجلى سناها، والخريدة تجلى في حلاها

Laborious deciphering here. As often, I'm not even sure I'm getting the right definitions for the words.

Let me start with what I think might be a very literal translation: "it is unique in the showing of its gleam, and chaste in showing in her ornaments."

Now let me try a conjecture as to what it could really mean: "it gleams all over like no other city, but there's a certain modesty in its ornaments (it's elegant like a beautiful virgin, not garish like a whore)"?
Looking it up I found this, which probably has more answers than I could ever provide.
One useful point which you may have noticed already is that sadly final ي's are often typed ى out of negligence, especially online, so it's useful to be on the lookout for those (even the reverse sometimes happens with ي instead of ى).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

They're all saying different things so I'm still a bit lost as to how exactly the phrases work, but I'll paraphrase the core idea.

Now the next phrase:

الزاهية بجمالها المغرب

= "the one by whose beauty the west (Maghreb) blossoms"?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or "the one on whose beauty the west prides itself"?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

They're all saying different things so I'm still a bit lost as to how exactly the phrases work, but I'll paraphrase the core idea.
I would tend to trust Mahaodeh and Djara when they say it may be poetic license for تتجلى, although it could also be read تُجلى as Ghabi mentioned, but in both cases you get the same passive meaning.

الزاهية بجمالها المغرب

= "the one by whose beauty the west (Maghreb) blossoms"?
I don't know... why would المغرب be treated as a feminine?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

زها seems to have a few transitive meanings in CA, the only one I've found which could plausibly fit here would be this:
1660299686139.png

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

والجامعة لمفترق المحاسن

The general idea likely is that Alexandria combines all beauties/virtues. But how does the phrase work exactly? I can't find a definition for the verb جمع with ل, but perhaps الجامعة is being used as a noun: "(Alexandria is) the meeting point for the crossroad of (all) beauties/virtues"... maybe? It sounds redundant, though. If the ل doesn't preclude الجامعة from being a participle with one of the usually transitive senses of the verb, then perhaps the meaning is "containing the crossroad of all virtues (i.e. Alexandria contains the point where all virtues meet, like at a crossroads)".

Last edited:

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

والجامعة لمفترق المحاسن

The general idea likely is that Alexandria combines all beauties/virtues. But how does the phrase work exactly? I can't find a definition for the verb جمع with ل, but perhaps الجامعة is being used as a noun: "(Alexandria is) the meeting point for the crossroad of (all) beauties/virtues"... maybe? It sounds redundant, though. If the ل doesn't preclude الجامعة from being a participle with one of the usually transitive senses of the verb, then perhaps the meaning is "containing the crossroad of all virtues (i.e. Alexandria contains the point where all virtues meet, like at a crossroads)".
مفترق does mean crossroad in the sense that what it literally describes amounts to a crossroads. But literally it is a substantivized past participle meaning "dispersed" or "scattered" or "going in various directions", hence "crossroads" when applied to roads. Here it is the 'opposite' of جامع which as you say here is a present participle.
The ل is needed because جامعة is preceded by an article, and the same word can't be defined twice so you can't just add مفترق as an إضافة.
So the idea is that Alexandria regroups a scattering of virtues, i.e. attracts only the best, from the far reaches of the world.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The ل is needed because جامعة is preceded by an article, and the same word can't be defined twice so you can't just add مفترق as an إضافة.
Because of the article, an إضافة didn't even occur to me, but I was thinking the participle might have taken a direct object. Is that also impossible when a participle is definite?
So the idea is that Alexandria regroups a scattering of virtues, i.e. attracts only the best, from the far reaches of the world.
Nice!

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Because of the article, an إضافة didn't even occur to me, but I was thinking the participle might have taken a direct object. Is that also impossible when a participle is definite?
I hadn't thought of it, but now that you mention it, I think it wouldn't sound wrong, just very classical. The ل sequence sounds much more common (and thus maybe less literary, I don't know).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فكل بديعة بها اختلاؤها

"It is the retreat of every marvel (every marvel has its retreat in it)"?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فكل بديعة بها اختلاؤها

"It is the retreat of every marvel (every marvel has its retreat in it)"?
Something like that, I guess. اختلاء also has the meaning of being alone with your lover or husband or wife, so maybe the idea is that every wonder secludes itself with/in Alexandria. It's a bit strange but that's the least strange I can think of.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فهي الفريدة في تجلى سناها، والخريدة تجلى في حلاها، الزاهية بجمالها المغرب، والجامعة لمفترق المحاسن، لتوسطها بين المشرق والمغرب، فكل بديعة بها اختلاؤها، وكل طرفة فإليها انتهاؤها

Alexandria, quasi ostenso margarita splendore, tamquam virgo se revelans exornata, Occasum venustate sua decorat, et cum sit media inter Ortum Occasumque sita, diversas undique virtutes colligit. In eam namque omnia mirabilia secedunt, perveniunt omnia rara.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

وقد وصفها الناس فأطنبوا، وصنفوا في عجائبها فأغربوا وحسب المشرف إلى ذلك ما سطره أبو عبيد في كتاب المسالك

I'm not sure about the underlined bit. Is it something like"[what Abu Ubaid wrote in his book] is considered the best overview of the topic"?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

وقد وصفها الناس فأطنبوا، وصنفوا في عجائبها فأغربوا وحسب المشرف إلى ذلك ما سطره أبو عبيد في كتاب المسالك

I'm not sure about the underlined bit.
Me neither. I've never seen مشرف followed by anything other than على, and I've just looked it up and couldn't find a single instance of مشرف إلى in the dictionaries. Otherwise it could mean: and what Abu Ubaid wrote is sufficient (حَسَبَ) for whoever looks into the matter, but even that's a pretty loose interpretation because مشرف is usually someone who oversees something.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

So I found a variant reading here: https://al-maktaba.org/book/11769/157 which has المتشوّف إلى instead, and this must be right because it makes perfect sense while مشرف إلى only does by an implausible stretch.