Dictionary with macrons?

deudeditus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm traveling right now and as such don't have my latin dictionary with me as I have Words installed on my laptop, but one thing Words doesn't supply is vowel length. Does anyone know of a similar program that includes all the vowel lengths? Or maybe an online dictionary? The only ones I know of show the plain vowel, which is fine enough but if I wanted to write some hexameter, it could prove problematic.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: Dictionary with macrons??

Try Wheelock's Latin website, which contains a spoken pronunciation guide. In addition, you can also have the most recent edition of John Traupman's The New College Latin and English Dictionary, which is available for US$5 in the major bookstores.

harmlessgoat22

Online Latin Dictionary with macrons?

I have been having constant trouble looking online for where the macrons are (if any) in Latin words. The best I have found is Wiktionary, but they don't have all the words that I'm looking for. I'm guessing most of you own English/Latin dictionaries that include macrons, but is there somewhere online I can use as reference for this? Thanks!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Re: Online Latin Dictionary with macrons?

It seems that Elementary Lewis tries to mark, as much as can be determined, all long vowels with macrons, leaving short vowels unmarked, whereas Lewis & Short leaves vowels unmarked either where length is reasonably predictable (somewhat unfortunately, since beginners often don't know when a vowel's length is predictable) or where length cannot be definitively determined because the syllable is already long by position (whereas Elem. Lewis commits itself to making informed assumptions about the length of such vowels when possible). In all other cases Lewis & Short marks long vowels with the macron and short vowels with the breve. Almost every other dictionary will follow the method used in Lewis & Short.