Carlotti defined beauty as a summation of the parts working together...

Pamela Stanley

Can someone please legitimately translate this item for me? From English to Latin... Internet based translators will fail you every time:0/ I am new so I am not sure if I did all this right but basically its for a tattoo and I DO NOT want to be a celebrity idiot with the wrong words permanantly placed on my body haha! I have searched and searched for months and somehow just managed to come across this forum today. feel free to express anything and everything! :)"Carlotti defined beauty as a summation of the parts working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or altered; Our love is beautiful."

D

Deleted member 13757

Carlotti, pulchritudinem definitit esse summam partarum a qua detrahendum nihil ad quam addendum nihil nihilque quam mutandum. Amor noster pulchrus est.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I'm not sure how to say "to define something as", but this is wrong:
Carlotti, pulchritudinem definitit esse summam partarum a qua detrahendum nihil ad quam addendum nihil nihilque quam mutandum. Amor noster pulchrus est.
Definiit.
Partium.
Ad quam...
Pulcher.

And you left out the "working together in such a way that..."

Carlotti sic definiit pulchritudinem: est summa partium quae sic una operantur (moventur? not sure how to say "to work") ut nihil addendum, extrahendum vel mutandum sit; amor noster pulcher est.

I changed it into direct discourse as I don't really know how to say "to define something as"... Maybe it's like LCF did, definiit esse... Or maybe definiit tamquam... I don't know.

I hope someone will be able to help on those two points ("to define as" and "to work".)

EDIT: Operari for "to work", I think.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I've made a little search and it seems that definire aliquid esse aliquid is right (I found two examples in the Latin library), even if I found many more examples of indirect discourse (ita definit:) or ita definit ut id dicat esse...

So I propose the three:

Carlotti ita definiit pulchritudinem: est summa partium sic una operantium/(quae sic una operantur) ut nihil addendum, extrahendum vel mutandum sit; amor noster pulcher est.

Carlotti thus defined beauty: it is a summation of the parts working (that are working) together in such a way that nothing need to be added, taken away or altered.

Carlotti ita definiit pulchritudinem ut eam diceret esse summam partium sic una operantium ut nihil addendum, extrahendum vel mutandum esset; amor noster pulcher est.

Carlotti thus defined beauty that he said it was a summation of the parts etc...

Carlotti pulchritudinem definiit esse summam partium sic una operantium ut nihil addendum, extrahendum vel mutandum esset; amor noster pulcher est.

Carlotti defined beauty as being a summation of the parts etc...

I wonder, sit or esset in the last two? I'd say esset for the consecutio temporum, maybe, be it might be sit as it's supposed to be a "general truth" still valid now...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

You are welcome. :) I'd just like someone to come and tell us for sure whether esset or sit would be better in the last two versions (if you choose one of those). Anyway it's always good to get more than one opinion, especially if it's for a tatoo.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Woops, I'd made a mistake. Look, I edited my post (operantium).

Could anyone tell me for sure whether esset or sit is best in the last two versions? I'd rather think it should be esset for the consecutio temporum, but I'd like to be 100% sure.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Could anyone tell me for sure whether esset or sit is best in the last two versions? I'd rather think it should be esset for the consecutio temporum, but I'd like to be 100% sure.
Result clauses don't necessarily have to follow the sequence of tenses (after all, something that happened in the past can have effects which are current or even as yet unrealized), but here I do think esset is better than sit because it draws a closer connection between the cause and result if the verbs are kept within the same time reference. It also follows the English more closely.