Ad Fam. X (variae epistulae)

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

ep.II
in iis autem rebus, quae nihilo minus, ut ego absim, confici poterunt, peto a te ut me rationem habere velis et salutis et dignitatis meae.
Is this equivalent to a concessive cum clause?

ep.VIII
Nam quis in ea fortuna, quae mea est, et ab ea vita, quam in me cognitam hominibus arbitror, et cum ea spe, quam in manibus habeo, aut sordidum quidquam pati aut perniciosum concupiscere potest?
...and from that life, which I suppose is known in me to men...?

ep.XXI
Omnia feci, qua re Lepido coniuncto ad rem publicam defendundam minore sollicitudine vestra perditis resisterem:
Not sure how to interpret this.

ep.XXIII
Numquam mehercules, mi Cicero, me poenitebit maxima pericula pro patria subire, dum, si quid acciderit mihi, a reprehensione temeritatis absim.
I thought this word with the subjunctive is the equivalent of "until", but here the meaning seems to be rather "while," no?

ep.XXVII
Pacis inter cives conciliandae te cupidum esse laetor: eam si a servitute seiunges, consules et rei publicae et dignitati tuae; sin ista pax perditum hominem in possessionem impotentissimi dominatus restitutura est, hoc animo scito omnes esse sanos, ut mortem servituti anteponant.

A clause of result? Or another instance of ut for qui?

ep.XXVIII
mihi enim negotii plus reliquisti uni quam praeter me omnibus
For you left me more trouble to me alone than to all [others?] besides me.
Cicero seems ridiculously tautological here.
:D

ep.XXXI
Si umquam licuerit vivere in otio, experieris; nullum enim vestigium abs te discessurus sum.
I thought this verb was only intransitive.

ep.XXXIII
Quo tardius certior fierem de proeliis apud Mutinam factis, Lepidus effecit, qui meos tabellarios novem dies retinuit; tametsi tantam calamitatem rei publicae quam tardissime audire optandum est, sed illis, qui prodesse nihil possunt neque mederi.
...even though it is desirable to hear of such adisaster to the state as late as possible, but to them, who are unable to either be helpful or to heal.
Am I missing something here? Seems like a run-on clause.

maxime tamen doleo adeo et longo et infesto itinere ad me veniri, ut die quadragesimo post aut ultra etiam, quam facta sunt, omnia nuntientur.
Yet it pains me greatly to such a degree that a means of coming to me is done by a long and unsafe road, that all news are brought to me on the fortieth day or even later after they've occurred.
Here a result seems out of place to me: he laments so much that all news arrive forty days or even later? His lamenting cannot possibly be the cause of the delay in the news' arrival?

Any help or suggestions greatly welcome.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is this equivalent to a concessive cum clause?
It's similar but I'm not sure it's quite the same. Anyway, the idea is "even if I'm absent".
...and from that life, which I suppose is known in me to men...?
Yes. That is, the life Cicero believes people are aware he has led.
Arbitror is probably a bit less tentative than "I suppose".
Not sure how to interpret this.
Literally "by means of which thing"; i.e. "in order to".
I thought this word with the subjunctive is the equivalent of "until", but here the meaning seems to be rather "while," no?
More like "as long as/providing that".
A clause of result?
Kind of. It's expanding on hoc animo. "All sane people are of this mind, (namely) that they prefer death to servitude"—it is the attitude of all sane people to prefer death to servitude.
Or another instance of ut for qui?
I'm not sure what you mean by "another instance of ut for qui". Where have you seen ut for qui?
I thought this verb was only intransitive.
It is.
That's an accusative of measurement.
...even though it is desirable to hear of such adisaster to the state as late as possible, but to them, who are unable to either be helpful or to heal.
Am I missing something here? Seems like a run-on clause.
It is desirable, but (only) to those who...
Yet it pains me greatly to such a degree that a means of coming to me is done by a long and unsafe road, that all news are brought to me on the fortieth day or even later after they've occurred.
Here a result seems out of place to me: he laments so much that all news arrive forty days or even later? His lamenting cannot possibly be the cause of the delay in the news' arrival?
Adeo modifies et longo et infesto.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It's similar but I'm not sure it's quite the same. Anyway, the idea is "even if I'm absent".
Didn't know ut could mean "even".

Literally "by means of which thing"; i.e. "in order to".
So this can in no wise refer back to omnia.

More like "as long as/providing that".
Ah, so short for dummodo. Go figure...

I'm not sure what you mean by "another instance of ut for qui". Where have you seen ut for qui?
Maybe because I thought of it more as a relative clause of characteristic than of purpose ,but instead of being introduced by qui, it's introduced by ut.

That's an accusative of measurement.
Something like multos annos hic habito? or duos dies me puto illic moraturum esse?

It is desirable, but (only) to those who...
A tantum or modo would have made the context much clearer.

modifies et longo et infesto.
So it does introduce a result clause here.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Didn't know ut could mean "even".
"Even if".
So this can in no wise refer back to omnia.
It does, loosely.
Something like multos annos hic habito? or duos dies me puto illic moraturum esse?
Yes except that nullum vestigium is a measurement of space (an accusative of extent of space) rather than duration (extent of time).
So it does introduce a result clause here.
Yes.