Verbals (Participles, Gerund(ive)s, Supines)

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I made a fairly basic guide a few years ago on the types of verb forms mentioned in the thread title. I'm not going to reformat it to have all the text in this post, but I'll upload the PDF here. One thing I forgot to mention in the guide is that sometimes in compressed narration an accusative perfect passive participle can be translated as a main verb coordinated with the actual main verb, e.g. "Leo sublatum pedem mihi ostendit" -> "The lion lifted up his foot and showed it to me" or "Tyrii legatos contra ius gentium occisos praecipitaverunt in altum." -> "The Tyrians killed the ambassadors, contrary to the law of nations, and threw them into the sea."

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thanks for that, Dantius. I've skimmed through most of it and it looks like a good resource.
an accusative perfect passive participle
Or a perfect passive participle in any other case, for that matter.

I'll add another detail. You said:

"- eō has an irregularly declined present participle (iēns, euntis) and a normal future active participle (itūrus). A perfect passive participle is obviously illogical (“having been gone”), though some transitive compounds of eō have regularly formed PPPs."

There's one exception to this, which you probably omitted there either because you forgot or in order to keep things simple but I'll mention it here for those who might be interested. Perfect passive participles of intransitive verbs like eo can appear in the neuter singular as part of an impersonal passive construction (e.g. itum est = a going happened, one went, they went...). I said more on the topic in section 5 of this post.

Last edited:

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It may also be worth adding the following examples about the ablative supine:
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.39.09 PM.png

And it may be of interest to mention that Sallust once uses an accusative supine in place of an indirect command: "Neque ego vos ultum iniurias hortor, magis uti requiem cupiatis"