rogo vs. quaero

dance4life51

hi, I'm doing Henle Latin I, and one exercise is a translation, english to latin, where each sentence contains asked, but none of them are questions. (i.e. He asked where the Romans were.) The book had just previously taught the two verbs rogo and quaero, saying that they both meant ask.
Is there any rhyme or reason as to when to use each one? I glanced at the answer key for the sentences, and there is an irregular pattern for when rogo is used vs. quaero, so it seems that there would be something... but I can't figure out what.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! :dancing: :dancing: :applause: :applause:

B

Bitmap

dance4life51 dixit:
hi, I'm doing Henle Latin I, and one exercise is a translation, english to latin, where each sentence contains asked, but none of them are questions. (i.e. He asked where the Romans were.)
it's called indirect question

The book had just previously taught the two verbs rogo and quaero, saying that they both meant ask.
Is there any rhyme or reason as to when to use each one? I glanced at the answer key for the sentences, and there is an irregular pattern for when rogo is used vs. quaero, so it seems that there would be something... but I can't figure out what.
No, in the meaning of "to ask" they are interchangable. Both words can have other meanings, though, that make them different.
Also, the construction with rogare is rogare aliquem aliquid whereas quaerere is constructed as quaerere aliquid ex aliquo