Magick is the art of life itself

pkit404

Hello, been a while since last posted. Could I get another translation? I was wondering if an Alistair Crowley quote 'Magick is the art of life itself' can be translated into Latin? It's again for another tattoo. It's for me :)

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Just to get all the parts out there:

magice/magia ars ipsius vitae est.

See if others think there's a better syntax.

I guess you could also use Greek (μαγεία) to reflect the spelling of "magick".

Noctua

I think I would leave "Magick" unchanged in the Latin version because this is the term coined by Crowley. As far as I know, it remains unchanged in other languages.

For example in German: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick

Iacobinus

Civis

• Civis

I wouldn't leave "Magick" unchanged, as Latin tends to replace ka with ce, when it borrows words and as "-ick" would had been been rendered as -icus, -ica, -icum in Latin.
I however agree that a specific concept might be translated through a specific word, so I would use magicum, -i, n. (as I presume the personal pronoun for Magick being "it" in English) instead of magice, -es, f. or magia, , f.

Magicum ipsius vitæ ars or MAGICVM·IPSIVS·VITÆ·ARS.

[The substantive magicum, -i, n. exists, by the way, and is used as plural: 2 magica , -orum n. PLIN. nat. 1, 24, 99—102 [magic]a de herbis. DOCTR. apost. 2, 2 non [magic]a facies (μαγεύσεις). APVL. apol. 36 de [magic]is meis (sc. commentis).]

Last edited: