Lingva Pvlcherrima..

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Certē linguam Lusitanicam pulcherrimam putō. Nōn optimē eam loquī possum quia parentēs meī, quī natī sunt in Lusitanicā, prō dolor domī linguam eam haud saepe loquēbantur, sed intellegēbam eam ā puerō.
Small point – non linguam loqueris, sed linguā. (and maybe you could do valde pulchram or the like for pulcherrimam to avoid the ambiguity?)

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Small point – non linguam loqueris, sed linguā. (and maybe you could do valde pulchram or the like for pulcherrimam to avoid the ambiguity?)
Oh right, I knew that Latinē loquī is the way to say it is, but it didn't occur to me that ablative should always be used!

Thanks!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Latine is an adverb (so the equivalent here would be Lusitanicē), but yeah, when there's no adverb available you use the ablative.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Latine is an adverb (so the equivalent here would be Lusitanicē), but yeah, when there's no adverb available you use the ablative.
Now that I think of it, would "Latīnā loquī" be an acceptable to say it as well?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

I think "Latina" as a substantive, without "lingua", is not common. But lingua Latina loqui would be fine.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

What do you find hard about it?
I don't know, I tend to associate German with difficulty and confusion. Maybe because like I said earlier, I still struggled a lot to understand spoken German but also what I think are even moderately difficult texts, even though I had studied it for years (and was a very good student).

I've always had the suspicion that my junior high German teacher dumbed the language down for us, and didn't really prepare us for the real deal.

All that said, I haven't engaged with German for more than 15 years, so maybe I'd have to revise my judgment if I had to pick it up again.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I don't know, I tend to associate German with difficulty and confusion. Maybe because like I said earlier, I still struggled a lot to understand spoken German but also what I think are even moderately difficult texts, even though I had studied it for years (and was a very good student).

I've always had the suspicion that my junior high German teacher dumbed the language down for us, and didn't really prepare us for the real deal.

All that said, I haven't engaged with German for more than 15 years, so maybe I'd have to revise my judgment if I had to pick it up again.
The thing that irritated me about German was all the different plural forms, but the verbal grammar and idioms seem very similar to English to me, although of course I greatly prefer French.