Latin teachers you have known

kev67

Civis

• Civis

Apud Tamisem, occidens L milia passuum a Londinio
My Latin teacher was Miss Cooper. The year before I went to Hove Park it was a girls' grammar school. With my year it became a mixed comprehensive, which was a challenge to many of the teachers there. I was conned into doing Latin. Half our year were offered German or Latin, and the other half were offered Spanish or Latin. I would have preferred to have learnt German, but I was in the other half. The careers teacher told us Latin would help us with our English and in learning other languages. So, I opted for Latin, and have never been so bored in my life. Friday mid-morning was the worst. We would have double Latin. I was surrounded by girls who would chat non-stop about a dozen subjects a minute (I am not blaming them BTW). I had fallen off the back off the cart after the first or second term, because you just cannot wing Latin like other subjects. I looked at the clock fourteen times a lesson: 70 minutes divided by 5 minutes = 14. Still, I have to say I liked Miss Cooper. She was a spinster. She had a sense of humour. There was a girl in the class called Joy, who was one of the chattiest girls in the class, at a desk next to me. She used to say, 'Joy, not a joy to me.' Miss Cooper did not have a day off sick in thirty years, so the legend went. When Britain replaced the pound notes with coins, I asked her what 'decus et tutamen' meant, which was what was written on the side of the new coin. I did not realise, but that was quite a test. She said it meant a decoration and a protection. The last time I saw her was before my O level, when I told her I had memorized the translation to the Aeneid, which she told me was a good plan in my case. What I did not know, and what she never let on, was that she had cancer and died the same year. A few years later I was at a pub close to Brighton Technical College, where I was studying. I talked to a girl who also had Miss Cooper for a teacher. She was a bit of a coarse girl, but we both agreed that Miss Cooper was alright.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

My first Latin teacher told us in an early lession, "Iam to rhyme with jam".

If you failed to do your homework, or mucked up in class he would hit you over the head with your book to the beat of, "You lazy indolent boy". Another punishment was 2-20, 3-30, 4-40 etc. 2-20 was to write out the numbers from two to twenty in words 20 times. He never had any problem with class discipline ;)

He was an excellent teacher and I did well till I was promoted out of his class.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

My first Latin teacher was Sister Mary Daniel O'Keeffe. She was friendly but boring and just followed the textbook (Wheelock's). We never discussed anything to do with Roman culture or history; it was 100 percent grammar-translation.