ergo

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I have been listening to the Salvi Sitis podcast, which is obviously interesting to me...

He consistently accents ergo on the o rather than the e. Is ergo one of the words like adhuc, which is accented on the terminal syllable?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

A pity. It would be useful to have another word with a final accent!

Hector

It isn't one of the words like adhuc, which (I think) basically everyone agrees was accented on the last syllable.

Ergo is in a category of adverbs where some sources, such as Priscian ("Siquis pronuntians dicat poné et ergó, quod apud Latinos in ultima syllaba nisi discretionis causa accentus poni non potest"), say had word-final accent for unclear reasons. But a lot of modern authors on Latin pronunciation think that this type of final stress on adverbs is an artificial pronunciation that shouldn't be adopted by speakers of reconstructed Latin.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Interesting. I wonder what the causa discretionis was—does he mean to fit the metre?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I googled to find the rest of the Priscian quote. According to what I found, it seems to be that the alleged switch in accent was to differentiate the preposition (or rather postposition) from the conjunction.