Deutsche Odyssee

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

And it's just occurred to me -- though you're a fan of the Latin mass, or at least I assume you are, it can't hurt to go to a German-language mass, and of course you can do this online now. After all, you know what it's going to say, so you're effectively getting a whole lot of new vocabulary essentially free of work. Obviously this applies to the Bible as well.
I'll definitely get a Bible and an audio Bible when I'm ready for them. I'll take up your suggestion to look for a German Mass for repeated watching. The trouble with the German Catholic Church is that it's completely bonkers. It might take me a while to find a recording that conforms to the actual Missal.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Du bist kein Schweinhund.

Mein Vater ist nicht warm.

Die Kätze ist gelb.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Schweinehund isn't really alive in modern German, except in the expression den inneren Schweinehund überwinden, meaning conquering one's laziness and getting down to doing whatever one was avoiding. On another board a nazifan who was pretending to be a native speaker of German was caught out by his use of the word.

No umlauts for cats.

If you're saying that your father isn't warm because he died some time ago, that's acceptable, but if you want to say that you're feeling the temperature, you have to say mir ist warm, and not ich bin warm, which is a classic anglophone mistake. This will give you some idea of why you should not say it:

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Danke! I'm trying to download them now for repeated viewing.
I would recommend mastering standard German well before attempting Viennese. There's also Radio Oe1, from Vienna, which uses standard Austrian German. Occasionally you will hear things like "Deitschen" for "Deutschen" but otherwise it's pretty standard.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Schweinehund isn't really alive in modern German, except in the expression den inneren Schweinehund überwinden, meaning conquering one's laziness and getting down to doing whatever one was avoiding. On another board a nazifan who was pretending to be a native speaker of German was caught out by his use of the word.

No umlauts for cats.

If you're saying that your father isn't warm because he died some time ago, that's acceptable, but if you want to say that you're feeling the temperature, you have to say mir ist warm, and not ich bin warm, which is a classic anglophone mistake. This will give you some idea of why you should not say it:

You're a good teacher. I won't forget the lesson about warm - ever!

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I would recommend mastering standard German well before attempting Viennese. There's also Radio Oe1, from Vienna, which uses standard Austrian German. Occasionally you will hear things like "Deitschen" for "Deutschen" but otherwise it's pretty standard.
Definitely. I've ordered a DVD of Der Untergang for that. I've only ever seen the parodies of That Clip.

B

Bitmap

He could have got away with Schweinepriester.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Priester! I couldn't exactly remember that. I thought prester but knew there was something quite right about it. Back in the 90s I got a letter from Wigratzbad with something like Priesterbruderschaft Sankt Peter on the envelope.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus