Capuchin Crypt Plaque Translation

athena

Hello! I am doing a research video on relics and reliquaries. I found the plaque in the Capuchin Crypt of Rome to be interesting because it is said to read "What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be..."

However, I see that there is a lot more text on the plaque, and mainly I just wanted to verify the plaque does indeed say "What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be...". Many websites including Wikipedia says that it does say that, but I just wanted to verify because I couldn't find any text on the plaque that seemed to resemble that phrase.

Thank you!

Attachments

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Variations on that phrase are relatively common in Latin epitaphs, but the phrase is not on the plaque shown in the photo.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I see there are some other plaques below, not entirely visible in the photo. I guess the phrase could be there somewhere.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

A skull chapel. Lovely. :)

Pinkfacedmonkey

Hello! I am doing a research video on relics and reliquaries. I found the plaque in the Capuchin Crypt of Rome to be interesting because it is said to read "What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be..."

However, I see that there is a lot more text on the plaque, and mainly I just wanted to verify the plaque does indeed say "What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be...". Many websites including Wikipedia says that it does say that, but I just wanted to verify because I couldn't find any text on the plaque that seemed to resemble that phrase.

Thank you!
1673137784304.png

COME TU SEI FUI ANCOR IO: As you are was I already.
COM IO SONO SARAI ANCOR TU: As I am will be you still.

This is the Latin text you are referring to I believe. So you know what phrase to look for.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

The previous post appears to be in Italian not Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It is indeed Italian.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Quod estis nos fuimus, quod nunc sumus vos eritis is one way to put it.

Tu fui ego eris means "I was you, you will be me."

The original poster wasn't actually asking for a translation. Her request was this:
I just wanted to verify the plaque does indeed say "What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be...".
And it was answered.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is this the plaque?
No. As I said, the phrase isn't on the plaque. And if it is on some other plaque somewhere around, nothing guarantees that it will be exactly as I wrote it. My translation isn't the only possible way to put it.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This is the Latin text you are referring to I believe. So you know what phrase to look for.
That one should be located in Siena, I think this other one is in the Capuchin Crypt and may be what OP is talking about:

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Let's specify that you've go Italian, German, French, English and Spanish in there, but still no Latin, lol.