Can anyone recommend a basic Italian grammar?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Hi! I'm currently in Italy, and have been inspired to learn Italian (something I've tentatively wanted to do for a while) -- both to read scholarly literature written in that language, as well as for communication purposes. And, of course, it would be wonderful to be able to read Dante... :love:

What I want is a very basic, bare-bones Italian grammar book that will teach me how to read the language, since I'm primarily interested in reading rather than speaking it (I expect the latter will come more with real-world conversation practice than with artificial exercises anyway). Does anyone have a recommendation?

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Have a look at this.

It's the latest incarnation of a very good first Italian book, that has been reprinted and revised for about two generations. I used it before studying first year Italian at uni, and it was the book recommended for Scottish students to work through during the summer before being despatched to first year philosophy in the Pontifical Universities in Rome to study through the medium of Italian. It's fairly cheap, second-hand copies are abundant, and into grammar more than conversation.

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Have a look at this.

It's the latest incarnation of a very good first Italian book, that has been reprinted and revised for about two generations. I used it before studying first year Italian at uni, and it was the book recommended for Scottish students to work through during the summer before being despatched to first year philosophy in the Pontifical Universities in Rome to study through the medium of Italian. It's fairly cheap, second-hand copies are abundant, and into grammar more than conversation.
Wow, that looks like exactly what I need! Thanks for the helpful and very fast recommendation, @Terry S. ! :)

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus