Mediaeval "aut terrae diversa subire supplicia"

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

The «bracketed» sentence in the passage below has me stumped, especially the part in boldface.

Nam pater meus rex, itaque valde potens cuidam magno principi me volebat in conjugiam sociare, cui respondi: omnem torum abominor maritalem, quia virginitatem meam Christo in perpetuum dedicavi et ideo nunquam possem in carnalem copulam consentire. «Denique sic artata quod oportebat me aut ejus voluntati obedire aut terrae diversa subire supplicia latenter fugam inii, magis eligens exulare quam sponso meo fidem infringere.» Audiens vero vestrae sanctitatis praeconium sub alas vestrae protectionis confugi, sperans me apud vos locum reperire quietis, ubi possim contemplationis carpere secreta silentia praesentisque vitae vitare naufragi et perturbationem mundi fugere perstrepentis.

(For more context, see https://archive.org/details/legendaaureavulg00vora/page/19/mode/1up )

I translate most of the «bracketed» sentence as

"And then, constrained in this way that it was necessary for me either to obey his will or to ______, I secretly took flight, choosing rather to live in exile than to break faith with my spouse."

with three options, none of them looking good, to fill in the blank for "aut terrae diversa subire supplicia":

1. 'supplicia' could be the nom., acc., or voc. neuter plural of 'supplex' = kneeling, begging, suppliant. This would give us something like "or to go down (enter) (or undergo, suffer?) diverse kneelings (beggings, supplications)"? But I am doubtful about this. 'Supplicius' is an adjective, and my sense is that when used substantively, it refers to the suppliant person, not the acts of supplication; but there is only one of her, and she is not neuter. Oh wait: 'supplicia' could be fem. singular, and that would match her, but then 'diversa' wouldn't make sense.

2. 'supplicia' could be the nom., acc., or voc. neuter pl. of 'supplicium', which could mean punishment, torture, or again supplication, petition. This would give us something like "or to undergo various tortures (torments)." But in the context, it doesn't look like her father has threatened her with torture if she doesn't marry, nor does it seem likely he would do something like that and spoil the appearance of his beautiful daughter, making her less desirable in marriage. On the other hand, she's really the devil and her story is a lie! But the devil, since he's smart, would tell a plausible lie.---Well, I am probably over-analyzing!

3. In neither of the above can I fit in the word 'terrae', which might be the nom. pl. of 'terra' or its gen. or dat. singular. So could 'diversa' here be the perfect passive participle (fem. s.) of 'diverto'? And then we would have "or turned away from the land (i.e., my country), to go begging"? But does genitive or dative work here? I would have expected ablative of separation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

2. 'supplicia' could be the nom., acc., or voc. neuter pl. of 'supplicium', which could mean punishment, torture, or again supplication, petition. This would give us something like "or to undergo various tortures (torments)."
That's it.

Sorry if it doesn't seem to fit the context (which I know little about) but it simply is what it says!
3. In neither of the above can I fit in the word 'terrae', which might be the nom. pl. of 'terra' or its gen. or dat. singular.
It can only be gen. sg. here. Then the phrase terrae diversa supplicia would mean "(all) the various tortures of (in) the world". But I found some versions online that have certe instead of terrae.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Another possible interpretation just came to mind: "the various or different (different from the torment of getting married) torments of the earth (i.e. that the earth has to offer if I run away into the wide world)". I don't know how likely it is... it may be a bit far-fetched.

Avunculus H

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You translated magis eligens exulare quam sponso meo fidem infringere as "choosing rather to live in exile than to break faith with my spouse.", taking sponso to be the dative of sponsus "spouse". I'd rather take it as the dative of sponsum "vow, promise", so "than to break my vow".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Gregorius's interpretation is more likely.

Sponsus is much more common than sponsum. "To break faith with my vow" would also be a very redundant thing to say. Not that writers are never redundant, but the sponsus interpretation is just more natural.

Last edited:

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

#2 was my first interpretation, so I'm glad that my intuition got it right.

Then the phrase terrae diversa supplicia would mean "(all) the various to[r]tures of (in) the world".
That makes perfect sense and clinches it for me!

But I found some versions online that have certe instead of terrae.
Oh! in fact, the edition I was looking at had "voluntati 3) obedire aut 4) terrae diversa subire supplicia" with footnotes

3) Recentiores intrudunt: d u r i s s i m a e.
4) Recentiores malunt c e r t e, quod damnandum videtur.

But I couldn't make sense of 4), because I assumed that the note referred to the word before the number, instead of the word after!

Thanks to both of you for helping me to make sense of this!