Ancient Rome history book recommendation

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Hi all,

I would like to know more about the history of Rome, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking for an introduction-type book: not too long, but reasonably up-to-date. I'm especially interested in the Republic and early Empire. Style is important, in English or Romance is fine, and being available in Kindle format would be much appreciated (sorry for the paper lovers, but between the smell and feel of paper, and being able to read in the dark, I've made my choice :p ).

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

H. H. Scullard also has a History of Rome (revised from a work by Max Cary) which goes from the foundation to the reign of Constantine. Though it is technically readable by those with no knowledge of the period, I'm not sure I'd call it "introduction-type"; it is incredibly dense. But it has such brilliant sentences as "and he did not connive at those pilferings by subordinates which had stultified the efforts of Galba at economy" and "But Vocula’s effort was as inconclusive as the first relief of Lucknow in 1857." It's one of the books from which Certamen (a Roman trivia game that I play and write questions for) derives its clues.

The first book I read on Roman history was Mary Beard's SPQR, which covers the period you want and focuses more on analysis of large-scale events and patterns than getting into the nitty-gritty of all sorts of names and battles. But I haven't read it since 2015 or 2016, and so I can't really give a good critical judgment of it.

I am also fond of A History of the Roman People by Heichelheim, Yeo, and Ward, which is another Certamen sourcebook. It's more readable than Cary and Scullard, but more detailed than SPQR.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I would like to know more about the history of Rome, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking for an introduction-type book: not too long, but reasonably up-to-date. I'm especially interested in the Republic and early Empire. Style is important, in English or Romance is fine, and being available in Kindle format would be much appreciated (sorry for the paper lovers, but between the smell and feel of paper, and being able to read in the dark, I've made my choice :p ).
The only such book I ever read is one written by an Italian journalist many years ago, when I was 13 or 14, and which funnily enough is also available in French. It seemed well researched, for something written by a journalist and meant to be entertaining. I was struck by the fact that it covered the crisis of the third century in more detail than my history textbooks.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll check them out in more detail.
The first book I read on Roman history was Mary Beard's SPQR, which covers the period you want and focuses more on analysis of large-scale events and patterns than getting into the nitty-gritty of all sorts of names and battles. But I haven't read it since 2015 or 2016, and so I can't really give a good critical judgment of it.
Yup, pretty much what I'm looking for. I will most probably read more in-detail works after, but I'm more interested in the bigger picture for now since I have next to zero knowledge about Ancient Rome.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Upon careful consideration, it is my great pleasure to announce that Notascooby is the winner of this prestigious contest, of my passing gratitude, and of my potentially everlasting scorn should the book turn out to be crap. Many thanks, and congratulations again!