Agricola VI

Notascooby

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

"tum electus a galba ad dona templorum recognoscenda diligentissima conquisitione fecit ne cuius alterius sacrilegium respublica quam neronis sensisset"

'Then, he was chosen by Galba to examine the offerings of the temples, he did (that) with a most diligent search, so that the state would not perceive the sacrilege of someone else more than the that of Nero.'

This has got me pickled. The phrase 'diligentissima conquisitione fecit' feels like it should be introduced by a linking relative?

What's with the clause introduced by ne? I want to read it as a consecutive clause but then it would be ut non, not ne? It can't be a final clause as the sequence of tenses has gone haywire?

I'm guessing it's one of those mishmashes between a consecutive and a final clause after fecit' 'He brought it about'. This seems to make the most sense but doesn't account for the subjunctive.

Should I be reading a 'magis' with 'quam'?

Thanks

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

electus is just a participle. "Then, having been chosen..., he brought it about..." So no linking relative required.

Yeah, fecit is "brought it about" and the following clause is sort of the "substantive result" clause type (result = consecutive), but those clauses can sometimes use ne rather than ut non if the author has in mind the fact that it was an intended effect (that then actually happened), so it does have a bit of a purpose sense.

The pluperfect is probably a sort of future perfect idea from the perspective of the subject (like Agricola is thinking to himself "I will bring it about that the republic will have felt nobody else's..."), but it's a little weird. Sentiret would be more normal.

No, no magis with quam. The quam goes with alterius (which is just used like a genitive of alius). Those words can use quam, "other than".