Ablative of Association/Instrument

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

In Learn to Read Latin by Keller & Russell, the three basic functions of the ablative are listed as: separation, association/instrument, location. I understand that the Latin ablative became a dumping ground for the functions of the I-E instrumental and locative cases, but what I don't understand is why the authors link such different functions as association and instrument so closely. Had there been a list of four clearly distinct functions I probably wouldn't have had my curiosity aroused.

separation - proper to the ablative
instrument - from the instrumental case
location - from the locative case

Where does the association association come from? :ouch: My scalp is nearly raw from all the head-scratching.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

In Learn to Read Latin by Keller & Russell, the three basic functions of the ablative are listed as: separation, association/instrument, location. I understand that the Latin ablative became a dumping ground for the functions of the I-E instrumental and locative cases, but what I don't understand is why the authors link such different functions as association and instrument so closely. Had there been a list of four clearly distinct functions I probably wouldn't have had my curiosity aroused.

separation - proper to the ablative
instrument - from the instrumental case
location - from the locative case

Where does the association association come from? :ouch: My scalp is nearly raw from all the head-scratching.
Ultimately, it's probably because the instrumental case was used for such things when it still existed. Nevertheless, according to Harkness, it's because all the ablative uses that fall under the instrumental subtype are dealing with attendant circumstances, attendant people or things, attendant qualities, etc.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Harkness: which book is that?

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Many thanks!

Terry S.

Aedilis