To thine own self be true

A

Anonymous

Need help for Tattoo Artist
I am trying to find some translation for the latin phrase

To thine own self be true!!

Can anyone help? :lol: I am lost in this area and can't seem to find anything on the web to help...

thanks

Dawn Gibson

A

Anonymous

"To thine own self be true"

Hi,

I am looking for the English to Latin translation of the phrase "To thine own self be true" I have found two different translations on the Internet but not sure which one is right or if either are correct.

"Tibi ipsi dic verum"

"Tibi ipsi esto fidelis"

I would appreciate any help.

Todd

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Both make sense. The former is "To thine own self speak the truth"; the latter is "to thine own self be faithful." There are many, many, ways to say this, although amusingly the literal translation "be true" is one which does not make sense.

A

Anonymous

Shakespeare

I have a friend who wants to tattoo "To thine own self be true" on her body. Before she commits it to permanent ink, I thought I'd make sure it was correctly written.
Could anyone help me out on this?

Thanks,

barrr

A

Anonymous

I'm looking at getting my first tattoo soon and I'm trying to decide what language to get it in. I've always been fascinated by different cultures and one of my favorites is ancient Rome, so I figured it might be fitting to get it in latin. And actually if anybody knows the translation in ancient mayan or egyptian or knows where I could find it I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not as worried about exact word translation as I am the meaning and concept y'know? Thanks in advance for the help.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I have posted a summary of the threads discussing this translation to the Commonly Requested Translations sticky at POST: #26316

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I did a search and got nothing. Maybe I'm just retarded lol. If anyone knows where I could find the other translations that would be awesome. I'm sure theres a few language buffs in here. Thanks again for the help.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

There is a problem with the search function on the forum at the moment, which is why you had trouble finding it. I cheated and used google ;)

Re: Shakespeare

Hello. I am new to the Latin Forum, and, full of the enthusiasm of a newcomer, I am trying to clear up all of the old requests made for English to Latin translations. At the same time, I am not one of the better Latinists, and I am uncertain about the quality of my work. Therefore, I am sending this message to you both through the Forum and privately. I am sending it through the Forum in the hopes that some of the members who are better at Latin than I can find any errors or any places where my wording could be improved on. I am sending it to you privately because your request has been unanswered for a long time and you may no longer be checking the Forum in hopes of getting a response. I suggest that you check in at the Forum to see whether there are any corrections made to what I send you here. Also, if you would acknowledge in the Forum that you received this message, I will be able to know that it got through to you.

You asked for a translation of “To then own self be true.” My best effort to put that into Latin would be: “Tibi ipsi in fide maneto.” I hope that this is not coming too late for your friend who wants the tattoo.