You'll never walk alone

A

Anonymous

Hello.

Can anyone help?

I have seen different ways to translate You will never walk alone.
Among others:
- numquam soli vadete
- Numquam solus ambulabis

How do you translate it?:wondering:

Thanks

B

Bitmap

both translate to "you will never walk alone". The first one addresses a group of people though (as in "you guys will never walk alone"), the latter addresses a single person.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Actually the first one should be vaditis, not vadete, in order for it to mean what Bitmap said. Otherwise Bitmap is correct.

B

Bitmap

whoops... :/

Anyway, vaditis or vadetis works. But of course "vadete" doesn't make sense

A

Anonymous

I want to get a celtic cross with the phrase, "You'll never walk alone". I've seen topics on here about the translation but I wanted to ask myself.
So far I have "Vos Mos Nunquam Ingredior unus" or "Numquam solus ambulabatis"

I'm not sure which one is correct or if I should just write it in english but old english font.
Let me know, thanks!

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Re: Need help with tattoo idea

Just to clarify what you mean before making suggestions in Latin....

By "You'll never walk alone", do you mean it like you are saying it to someone specifically, like "Don't worry, I will always be around" or are you trying to say it more generally like "No one ever has to go through things alone because there are always close friends, etc, who are there for support."

Try to give us a really nice concrete idea of what you are trying to say with the tattoo.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

First of all, there is a distinction in Latin between the second person singular and second person plural, so it's ambiguous whether you're addressing one person or more than one. Second, the verb ambulare denotes rather 'taking a walk', which I don't think you want here. Your sense is 'to walk' in general. I would use ire or ingredior. Third, word order is free. So here'a possible version addressing one person: Numquam solus ibis or Numquam ingredieris solus. If you're talking to at least two persons: Numquam soli ibitis or Soli ingrediemini numquam. Pick your choice.

Chamaeleo

I think you should go with the idea of just putting it in English.

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Why Latin and not Gaelic?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Forget ingredior, that means rather 'to step in, enter', so stay with ire.

A

Anonymous

I haven't researched gaelic, but that is a really smart idea. If you could get me the translation for "You'll never walk alone" that would be great.

and by "You'll never walk alone" I'm trying to say it in a more general way. If it isn't known this is the motto of the Celtic football club, meaning that none of our brothers will ever have to be alone

Thanks again for the help

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Maybe there is a Gaelic forum online?

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

This is also in the Common Translation Requests sticky thread.

A

Anonymous

I was just told that you spell it

Numquam Solus Ambulabis

Chamaeleo

MrMarine dixit:
I was just told that you spell it

Numquam Solus Ambulabis
That literally means “you (referring to one male person) will never walk alone”. Change “-us” to “-i” and “-is” to “-atis”, and it will address more than one person.

It is still debatable whether “ambulare” is the best verb at all. You risk saying that they'll never stroll alone, essentially.

A thing to remember is that languages are not codes that English can be encoded into and decoded from. Each language is a separate, self-contained system, whose purpose is the expression of concepts.

A

Anonymous

Well than what would be the proper translation to generally say "You'll never walk alone", as in a brother will never have to be alone. I understand that english was derived from latin as were most/all languages, so what would be the closest to proper phrase

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

As already mentioned above, and as Chamaeleo said, forget ambulare, so instead we're using the verb ire here: Numquam solus ibis to one brother, Numquam soli ibitis to more than one. Ire conveys the general sense of walking, going. Clear enough? :p

Quasus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

MrMarine dixit:
I understand that english was derived from latin as were most/all languages, so what would be the closest to proper phrase
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I just can't leave it without a comment.

MrMarine, you should know that although English was greatly influenced by Latin, it's by no means it's descendent. English as well as other Germanic languages (German, Dutch, Swedish, Gothic, etc.) originated from so-called Proto-Germanic language.

The descendents of the Latin language are called Romance or Romanic, they include Italian, French, Spanish, Romanian etc. The exact number of Romanic languages is not defined, because sometimes it's hard to distinguish between dialects and separate languages; roughly speaking there are a dozen of them. So, only few languages of the world "were derived from Latin".

Decimvs

Aedilis

• Aedilis

MrMarine dixit:
I understand that english was derived from latin as were most/all languages, so what would be the closest to proper phrase
Double fail.

:silenced:

A

Anonymous

Re: You'll never walk alone translation

Hi,

I've been looking up this phrase in Latin and from what I gather "Nunquam Sola Vades" is what I'm looking for. Feminine and singular. However if one wants to get away from Liverpool and their slogan and go for

"May you never walk alone" instead of "You will never walk alone", is it the same translation? If not, how would you say 'may you never walk alone'?