Went to a Latin mass

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't think the Latin text of that changed, unless you mean the change to English. In my experience, most priests old enough to have lived through Vatican II (of which there are few left) wholeheartedly embraced the changes. I suspect that because the traditional mass is now attended by people who actively support and is read by priests who specialize in it, we actually see better-conducted traditional masses than what most parishioners would have experienced before 1970, in the United States at least.
I wouldn't care if traditional or new but it would be nuce to hear it in Latin. I think the new one (is it called novus ordo or something?) May be better because you participate more
and is shorter. :grin-huge:

Btw yeah here in Italy Francis actually changed the pater noster.

Last edited:

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Btw yeah here in Italy Francis actually changed the pater noster.[/spoiler]
Do you mean the Italian translation? In the United States some parts of the English translation of the Mass are different to what I grew up with, in that they are now more literal translations of the Latin.

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Do you mean the Italian translation? In the United States some parts of the English translation of the Mass are different to what I grew up with, in that they are now more literal translations of the Latin.
Yes he modified the mass, but I was talking about the fact that he changed the translation of the pater noster in Italian, the part about temptation.

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I have never heard of bishops suppressing it, because I have never heard of anyone requesting it. In all cases I know of, people who want a mass in Latin want the traditional form.
True, most people who want the mass in Latin want it in the traditional form, but there are some who prefer, or at least like, the new mass in Latin. If memory fails not, George Weigel is one of those, and it is available somewhere in Washington, DC; and the Order of St. John Cantius, which has a few churches in Chicago, is one of the groups that does the new mass in Latin, as well as in English, and (at least until recently), the old mass in Latin (I thought Cardinal Cupich had shut that down, but on the Cantius web site it looks like it still might be going on).

So there is not much of the new mass in Latin to be suppressed, and Pope Francis certainly has not tried to suppress it, and a bishop would have to be extraordinarily ignorant and/or irrational and/or malevolent to want to suppress it---but still:

the Diocese of Alajuela, in the Northern region of Costa Rica, ordered Fr. Sixto Eduardo Varela Santamaría to be suspended from all ministries for six months, and will be sent to a psychological treatment clinic for celebrating in Latin the Mass of the Missal of Pope Paul VI, also known as the Ordinary Form or "Novus Ordo." (CNA, 2021 Aug 21)
I think the new one (is it called novus ordo or something?)
Yes, "novus ordo", or "ordinary form", or "mass of Pope Paul VI" (and, by a few people, spicier names which I will not repeat); in contrast to "vetus ordo", "extraordinary form", or "mass of Pope Gregory ___" --- I can't remember if it is Pope St. Gregory the Great, or one of the later Gregorys around the time of the Council of Trent.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Yes, "novus ordo", or "ordinary form", or "mass of Pope Paul VI" (and, by a few people, spicier names which I will not repeat); in contrast to "vetus ordo", "extraordinary form", or "mass of Pope Gregory ___" --- I can't remember if it is Pope St. Gregory the Great, or one of the later Gregorys around the time of the Council of Trent.
It was Pius V who promulgated the standardized Roman missal in 1570. My copy of the 1920 edition (which I'm sure all editions did until the 1960's) reproduces his bull Quo primum right at the beginning.