Verba Latina Obscena

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

What is/are the Latin author/Texts full of obscenities, badwords, swear-words? RES IMPVDICAE?!

Gratias vobis ago.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Catullus and Martial are two poets who regularly got a bit dirty. There's some NSFW stuff in the Satyricon.

And there are the graffiti on the walls of Pompeii and Herculanum.

If you're into really weird stuff, there's a bestiality scene in Apuleius's Metamorphoses/Asinus Aureus. Well, I guess it's only semi-bestiality: a woman has sex with a donkey who's really a metamorphosed man. But she thinks he's just a donkey.

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

Catullus and Martial are two poets who regularly got a bit dirty. There's some NSFW stuff in the Satyricon.

And there are the graffiti on the walls of Pompeii and Herculanum.

If you're into really weird stuff, there's a bestiality scene in Apuleius's Metamorphoses/Asinus Aureus. Well, I guess it's only semi-bestiality: a woman has sex with a donkey who's really a metamorphosed man. But she thinks he's just a donkey.
With regard to Pompeii and Herculaneum graffiti, Is there any website, book or online database which may provide us good research?

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I've got this in my bookmarks. I don't have pars I but perhaps it can be found somewhere.

This site is interesting. It's in French, but even if you don't know French you can still look at the Latin inscriptions.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Incidentally, the most explicit lines from this scene are found in a few manuscripts, in a very corrupt state, and generally thought to be spurious, so they're not included in, say, the Latin Library edition:
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 7.46.36 PM.png

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Weirdly, some of the surviving medical texts sometimes use vulgar words, in a rather scientific way. There's also the Priapeia poems.