Si custodiae duriores fortioresque ad casam tuam contendissent

john abshire

• Patronus

8. Si custodiae duriores fortioresque ad casam tuam contendissent, heu, numquam tanta scelera suscepisses et hi omnes non occidissent.
If the harsher and braver guards had hastened to your house, ah! Alas! You would never have undertaken so great a crime and all these would not have died.

please help with my translation.
edits in bold red.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Is there any context to the sentence?

At first sight, I'd say that occidissent is probably from occido (with a short i), occidere, occidi, occasum rather than from occido (with a long i), occidere, occidi, occisum.

In theory, it could also be from the latter and omnes could be the object, but it seems less likely.

john abshire

• Patronus

Is there any context to the sentence?

At first sight, I'd say that occidissent is probably from occido (with a short i), occidere, occidi, occasum rather than from occido (with a long i), occidere, occidi, occisum.

In theory, it could also be from the latter and omnes could be the object, but it seems less likely.
There is no context. It is one sentence (no.8) of an exercise.
I made the change on my post bold red. It makes more sense now, and it dawned on me the difference (but similarity) between the two verbs. Thanks.
I can see that I could smooth up the sentence, but is it basically correct now?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

That depends on how archaic your speech is. Do you normally use the pluperfect indicative in its subjunctive sense in English?

john abshire

• Patronus

That depends on how archaic your speech is. Do you normally use the pluperfect indicative in its subjunctive sense in English?
You would never have undertaken so great a crime and all these would not have died.
This is my rewrite. Specifically “all these would not have died.”
Is this what you meant?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Often enough, but it depends on context.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

John, can you put the first part of what you want help with in the thread titles, rather than chapter and page number.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

You can do both :)