Short Latin sentences

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Hi all,

So I've attached below a text file with all (or nearly all) of the short sentences from Caesar's (and Hirtius's) De Bello Gallico. My definition of "short" seemed to enlarge as the endeavor went on, but these will still work. It's a resource I'd like to have for teaching Latin, as well as one that I think would benefit other teachers who want to be able to use real, digestible Latin for beginning students. The sentences vary widely in difficulty, and can be given to the entire range of Latin students. I tried as best I could to exclude those sentences that depended too heavily on context. If there's already something like this available, please let me know. If not, expect selections from some other major works.

Attachments

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Seems very helpful, thanks!

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Oh, that's my favorite author! (though I prefer the Bellum Iugurthinum, maybe you should do that at some point as well)

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

He's one of my favorite authors as well; I wish we had more from him. I'll definitely be doing the Bellum Iugurthinum.

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

If only his Histories still survived in full...

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

I'm hoping that one day some of these lost texts are found (I really want to read Ennius's Annales).

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

My favorite!

Quintilianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Macte virtute AoM !
The next step is to make a missale or some liturgia horarum (I don't really know) with classical texts.
I've always found the reading of bits of an 'opus' or 'opera' to be most intellectually rewarding. I mean it's in the quotations and bits of sentences quoted and highlighted in other texts that I've always been the most able to concentrate on these sentences. (at least the catchy ones, maxims and aphorisms, pretty lines of poetry,...)

Today brothers, we'll meditate this famous 'locus' of Cicero's and will sing some poetry of Ovid's.

Maybe someone already did it. A quotidian lecture and meditation on Classics.
I should give it a try if I could.

Ronolio

Awesome. I just found this and immediately downloaded all that you have done. These will be very useful for my high school Latin classes. Thanks for putting forth the effort to do this.

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

I'd completely forgotten about these. Here's the last three Aeneid books (apologies in advance for any mistakes).

I'll probably do some more Plautus/Terence/Cicero and maybe Lucretius.

Attachments