(Sentences) (it) sound/s better in latin

Severina in Texia

Hello everyone! (Newb here) I am trying to get a desk mat embossed with a Latin phrase for my husband for Christmas. We were chatting and he mentioned that the sentence in latin: ”It sound’s better in Latin” would be a fun/lighthearted ”quote”. I went through some examples that are probably “off” but will get the point across as to what I am trying to express. I am open to suggestions that are more correct. Here is what i came up with:

1. Latinus melioram sonat - Latin sounds better
2. Lingua latina melioram sonat - latin language sounds better
3. Latinus melior quam omni - latin is better than all/every _______

open to all suggestions. Thank you in advance.

P.S. I am still trying to figure out how to decline LATIN (as the language name).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Your second attempt is the closest to being correct.

Lingua Latina is a good translation for "(the) Latin (language)". That's one correct thing. The verb sonat is correct too. But melioram isn't a word. You were probably going for meliorem and mixing up the declensions a bit. However, while meliorem is a word, it doesn't make sense here. What you need is the adverb melius.

So lingua Latina melius sonat is a correct way of saying "Latin (the Latin language) sounds better."

A translation of "it sounds better in Latin" would be melius Latine sonat.

Severina in Texia

Thank you very much Pacifica! Why does your suggestion sound so much more awesome! hehehehehe

Questions:
I use my Spanish AND english to try to make some grammatical sense for the purpose of learning Latin and not necessarily to translate word for word, but I will admit a direct translation helps me understand.

So i should use Latine(adv)? = I cannot get my brain around how to use (latin) as and adverb?!?!
melius Latine sonat
better ______ sounds
mejor _______ suena

Gregorius Textor

Animal rationale

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

This reminds me of a joke.

"Everything sounds better in Italian. For example, " --- the speaker continues with some Italian sentence which I, as an English speaker, cannot understand or reproduce, but it sounds very beautiful. Then he explains: "It means, 'I wrecked your car'."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A few years ago, someone on the forum mentioned a study in which people who knew no English were made to listen to a number of English words and phrases and vote on which one sounded the most beautiful to them. The winner was "cellar door". After trying to forget the meaning, I had to agree that it sounded rather pleasant, like the name of a fantasy land or something.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

A few years ago, someone on the forum mentioned a study in which people who knew no English were made to listen to a number of English words and phrases and vote on which one sounded the most beautiful to them. The winner was "cellar door". After trying to forget the meaning, I had to agree that it sounded rather pleasant, like the name of a fantasy land or something.
Especially when pronounced in a non-rhotic version of English, I think.

Dumnorix

Especially when pronounced in a non-rhotic version of English, I think.
Agreed. I think Tolkien popularized the idea of "cellar door" as being a beautiful phrase. There is a scene in the film "Tolkien" with an English actress who certainly does make the phrase sound very lovely. I don't think if would sound particularly attractive with the American hard r.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I think in RP it would be /sɛlədɔː/, but in my native dialect it would be something more like /sɛlɐdɑː/.

Tolkien had different linguistic tastes than I do. I don't find his constructed languages particularly pleasing, especially not Quenya.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't find his constructed languages particularly pleasing, especially not Quenya.
I like all of them, but I remember this weird period (in my defense, I was a teenager) where I tried to convince myself I preferred Quenya over Sindarin because he himself seemed to prefer it, and presented it as the nobler of the two, but nope, I definitely prefer the latter.