Seeking Latin motto ideas for artist's studio (puzzle-ish)

Harun

I want to find a latin motto for my art studio. To fit in my logo, under the studio name, the space constraint is 22-24 characters (including spaces.)

It can be something about hard work, beauty, quality, or anything you feel is broadly related to art making or collecting.

Here are some I’ve found that I like and around the right length:
QUAM BENE NON QUANTUM
VENUS VENTUS TEMERARUS
NON DESISTAS NON EXIERIS

I’m looking for additional suggestions. Because the visual width is a bit of a puzzle, I seek a large number of possibilities for both visual fit and a meaning that I identify with. I also welcome opinions on why something may/may not relate.

Please help me brainstorm with some of your favorite Latin phrases that fit the details above!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

VENUS VENTUS TEMERARUS
NON DESISTAS NON EXIERIS
These don't make sense. I've googled them and found that they're supposed to mean "Venus favors the bold" and "never give up, never surrender"—they don't. Are those English phrases the meanings you wanted?

Harun

That's what I initially discovered as well, I also noticed there is not a lot backing up those translations. I'm glad to have your input! If anyone has any favorite phrases that fit, I'd love to hear them!

CSGD

"Venus ventus temerarus" makes no sense at all. I don't know how people arrived at that phrase as it features a word that does not even exist in Latin.
There is the phrase "Fortune favors the bold", which is "Fortuna fortes adiuvat." If you want to change that to "Venus favors the bold", just replace Fortuna: "Venus fortes adiuvat."

The other phrase is close to making *some* sense, but it is grammatically wrong; and if it weren't wrong, it would sound like you don't want people to leave your studio again.
"To surrender" is a bit tricky for such phrases because it is usually translated as "se dedere/tradere", but out of context, "se dedere" could also be read in other meanings. Maybe an option for "never give up, never surrender" would be "numquam desistas, numquam arma ponas". That would mean, "never give up, never put down your weapons."

Harun

Thanks for the replies! I get that these phrases are not the best. I hope that there may be some people who know some other phrases that might be fitting.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Do you have an idea what kind of thing you'd like the phrases to say?

CSGD

If it is an art studio, you could of course just use the established phrase "ars gratia artis". That wouldn't be excessively innovative, but then again, you're asking other people to come up with something :D

CSGD

I don't know if that would count as a copy right infringement, though. It might. Better leave your hands off of it.

Harun

If it is an art studio, you could of course just use the established phrase "ars gratia artis". That wouldn't be excessively innovative, but then again, you're asking other people to come up with something :D
I don't know if that would count as a copy right infringement, though. It might. Better leave your hands off of it.
That's a good suggestion, and yes it's quite common. This isn't the right forum to discuss copyright but I'm 99.9% sure that one is not copyrighted. I'm sure once I've seen enough I'll latch onto the right one. Currently I'm considering "ars via non opus est"

I could also go with something like "Beauty, Passion, Hard Work" or something like "Hard work begets beauty" -- When people tell me I'm talented, I reply, no I just work very hard and don't give up.

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Under the character limit you could have ex labore venustas = "from hard word, beauty".

Harun

ex labore venustas
I like that one, and yes it fits with 3 characters to spare (I just pasted it into my logo... the limit is actually based on horizontal width of capital letters rather than exact character count). Also I assume you meant to type work, not word?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

Just to get a (shortened) quote from a classical text out there:

quale manus addunt decus

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Strangely enough, Lucretius devotes "De Rerum Natura" to Venus (basically goddess of love = goddess of creation).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"What beauty the hands add [to the raw material]"