Please use the "like" feature

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Instead of "seconded," "thirded", "fourthed," "confirmed," etc.
We're running out of space.

It won't save us much but every little bit helps...

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

Instead of "seconded," "thirded", "fourthed," "confirmed," etc.
We're running out of space.

It won't save us much but every little bit helps...
I understand the problem, but will newcomers to the forum understand that a "like" signifies the second poster has read the translation and approved it? On other forums/social media platforms, a "like" can mean anything from "I agree with what you said" to "I think your post was interesting" to "Nice to see you around".

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Yes, that point was raised some time ago. On other fora I've been on, there are things like "vote up" and "vote down." The responses with the most net votes up are deemed to be the correct ones.
I don't know if that's possible with our current software.

Now that I've made this thread sticky, hopefully people will figure out that a response with a lot of "likes" is a good one.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

My first thought was that someone might think that initially, but after a moment of reflection would work it out. After all, the rest of us did, didn't we? I don't recall it being explicitly stated anywhere.

My second thought that many of those who request translations lack that sort of reasoning power.

My third thought that those who do lack that sort of reasoning power aren't going to notice and read this thread.

My fourth thought was that the mods will hate me and my pointless throwaway remarks even more in the future, seeing every letter I type as precious resources denied to the deserving.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

My first thought was that someone might think that initially, but after a moment of reflection would work it out. After all, the rest of us did, didn't we? I don't recall it being explicitly stated anywhere.

My second thought that many of those who request translations lack that sort of reasoning power.
It would be nice to know what point you're making there. Use of the quote function might have helped.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Scrabulista referred to 'that point'. I assumed that given the context, and as my post immediately followed, no reader could possibly fail to see that the second 'that' in my first sentence referred to precisely the same issue as the similarly quote-free post of the person immediately above me. I was wrong.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I was wrong.
You were, and still are, I'm afraid.

My first thought was that someone might think that initially,
Might think that a response with a lot of "likes" is a good one? I got that far. But then what sense are we to make of what immediately follows:
"but after a moment of reflection would work it out."? Work what out? And why the "but"?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

When scrabulista referred to 'that point', he was referring to the potential ambiguity of the 'Like' button. So perhaps I was overinterpreting it to think that my second 'that' would be easily taken to refer to the possibility of their not understanding that it meant 'I think this is a sound translation' and merely equivalent to 'hi, nice to see you around' or whatever it might mean elsewhere. However, I thought they might realise that it did in fact indicate approval after a while, as people do.

Did others have similar difficulty understanding what I meant? I have completely lost my belief in my ability to communicate anything to anyone.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

So did I. A couple of emoticons would have made it even clearer though.

Mafalda

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

And is it not possible to rename the "Like" button/feature and make it "Seconded" or "Confirmed" or something like that? So as to avoid any misunderstanding.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

If something like that were to be done, it would be better to create a "seconded/confirmed" button in addition to the "like" one rather than replace the latter with the former, because we like many posts other than translations to be confirmed.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

But potential ambiguity could arise, if we use the Like button for expressing approval of translations, as we are now explicitly enjoined to do. If you posted your appreciation of something extratranslational in the Every Post thread, where you often complain you have nothing to say, and perhaps paged the object of your appreciation if you were anxious that they might miss it, you could kill two birds with one stone.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

But potential ambiguity could arise, if we use the Like button for expressing approval of translations, as we are now explicitly enjoined to do.
That would be fixed if a "seconded/confirmed" button were added, as suggested above.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I thought that renaming an existing button might be less likely to blow things up than adding one. I can't remember what it was that got rid of our ribbons, but wasn't it something being added or otherwise fiddled with?

Callaina

Feles Curiosissima

• Civis Illustris

• Patrona

If something like that were to be done, it would be better to create a "seconded/confirmed" button in addition to the "like" one rather than replace the latter with the former, because we like many posts other than translations to be confirmed.
Seconding (and "liking") this.