Peace leaf

Hello everyone

I am trying to find out a latin name of "peace leaf" or alternatively "leaf of peace".

It should be a taxonomic expression so it should not deviate from the rules of taxonomy if there are any such.

I am looking forward to your suggestions and I thank you in advance.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Folium pacis

Please wait for others to reply first

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

You may have a wrong idea of plant taxonomy. The name follows the pattern of "Genus species," and a leaf, by itself, is not that.

We have such things as:

Achillea millefolium - the "thousand-leafed Achilles plant" - actually its common name is "common yarrow." Apparently there's a myth about Achilles using the yarrow to stop the bleeding of his soldiers.
Allium unifolium - the "one-leafed garlic plant." Its common name is "oneleaf onion" but that's another story.
Polypodium angustifolium - the "many-footed narrow-leafed plant". Its common name is "narrow strapfern."

However I am going to suggest:

Olea pacifolium, the "peace-leafed Olive." The olive branch of course symbolizes peace.
Olea is feminine and folium is neuter, but this is allowable.

We also have Olea chrysophylla, "gold-leafed Olive" although its preferred name is Olea europaea ssp. cuspidata. I'll let someone with a better knowledge of Greek to suggest a prefix meaning "peace."

Thank you very much for your input, it was a very interesting read. I only vaguely remember the latin I picked up in school and initially I had chosen Folius Pacis, which I see was not grammatically correct.

This is an art project of sorts and so does not relate to a real plant, yet I see the point of being more specific. If so, I think it will have to be something to do with a specific location. In this case that would be Hiroshima Peace Leaf. I found a spider called Cybaeus Hiroshimaensis, so would this be Pacifolium Hiroshimaensis?

Alternatively I could also go with Shading Leaf of Peace, would that be Pacifolium Umbra?

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Do what you want, but I don't like it. -folium at the genus level is very rare.
-phyllum is far more common but my Greek is weak.

Ceratophyllum spp.: "Hornleaf" (hornwort)
Hydrophyllum spp.: (waterleaf).

EDIT: It looks like the most common Greek word for peace is eir[e-long:220mp0n4][/e-long:220mp0n4]n[e-long:220mp0n4][/e-long:220mp0n4]; I'm not sure how that would combine with phyllum.

Another Greek word is sp[o-short:220mp0n4][/o-short:220mp0n4]nd[o-short:220mp0n4][/o-short:220mp0n4]ph[o-short:220mp0n4][/o-short:220mp0n4]r[o-short:220mp0n4][/o-short:220mp0n4]s: truce-bringing. It looks a bit like spondee.

Trees tend to be feminine; I see that at the species level (and below), -folia is much more common than -folium: Quercus acerifolia: mapleleaf oak; Quercus oblongifolia: "oblong-leafed oak" (Mexican blue oak).

So I'm revising my suggestion to Olea pacifolia ssp. hiroshimaensis.
-folium is neuter, so if you go with Olea pacifolium, you'd want: ssp. hiroshimaense.

We have Eucalyptus umbra, but umbrosus, -a, -um is far more common. Now that I think about it, the narrowest strain would be around Hiroshima, so let's go with
Olea pacifolia ssp. umbrosa var. hiroshimaensis.

Species level and below get lower case letters; genus and above get capital letters.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

"Peace" is εἰρήνη in Greek, which as a prefix is εἰρηνο- (īrēno- when transliterated to Latin).