pavor omnifer et potest manes tempus expergiscendi

Anima

The words may not work out, but please do it as best as you can...

Pavor omnifer et potest manes tempus expergiscendi.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Bearing everything fear and time can spirits of the dead awaiting

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Somnus Nemoris, eh? We attempted this a while back and came to the conclusion that translating it properly won't be possible until Square Enix releases the official lyrics, since the singer's pronunciation is not very good and the sound is obscured in the video by such things as gunfire.

Unfortunately they still haven't. :(

For what I hear in those lines:
Et nocte perpetua (starting early)
Ehem vel vera visione
Par oram videbo te
Manet tempus expergiscendi

"And in a perpetual night
Behold! (vel?) in a true vision
(par oram?) I shall see you
The time of awakening remains."

Anima

They released a version of the song without the gun noises recently! It is much easier to listen to and you can really hear the words.

They sound like this imo:

Et nocte perpetua
Ehem desperatione
Pavor omnifer et potest
Manes tempus expergiscendi

Thanks for the translations btw. I think Ive got it all sorted. Except for the 3rd line is still definitely debatable...I cant be bothered to mess around with it anymore...

http://www.ff-xiii.net/

The link to the song is on this page. You can see what you think.

Fulgor Laculus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, the song available at that link is quite clear. I listened to the third and fourth lines over and over again and this is what I think:
The third line is definitely: Auroram videre potes - 'you can see the dawn'. Makes sense since in the previous lines an eternal night is mentioned.
I am also quite sure that the fourth line is Mane tempus expergiscendi - meaning 'morning, the time of awakening'. This is in natural continuation of the previous lines (night - dawn - morning).

Very beautiful music indeed!

Anima

^Thats it. It must be it!

Thanks a lot.

Here is the translation so far:

Tellus dormit et liberi in diem faciunt numquam extinguunt. Nec expergiscis possunt. Omnia dividit tragoedia coram amandamque.

Et nocte perpetua ehem desperatione! Auroram videre potes mane tempus expergiscendi.

A kingdom sleeps and the daily suffering of children is never ended. Nor can they be awoken. Tragedy divides them all and in the presence of their loved ones.

And in this everlasting night see the desperation! You can see the dawn, morning, the time of awakening.

A lot of this was put together thanks to you guys. I was sort of liberal with it because I wanted it to make sense. What do you think?

A video is going to be made of the translation, so should I thank you guys in the credits?

EDIT: Ahh, I cant be bothered to wait. Might as well make the video now.

Fulgor Laculus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think that you have the general gist, but I still cannot make out some of the words in the first lines. In any case, expergiscis should be expergisci - no doubt here. The first word sounds something like TEUS, but there is no such word. Maybe the intention was for Deus ? In any case, tellus means the Earth, not a kingdom.

EDIT: listening to it again, it seems that the words after omnia dividit tragoedia are caram amandamque. This means 'tragedy divides all, the dear and the loveable'. * Coram didn't make sense because it usually takes an ablative, and didn't fit with the -que following amandam.

Can you post a link to the video when it is ready ?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It would also appear to be ne expergisci possint, "lest they be able to awake." Expergisci is deponent, meaning that it is "to awake" not "to be awoken."

I have not heard the "auroram videre potes" proposal before, but that makes sense. I was thrown off by her accentuation of the last syllable of that line and the separation between the syllables, making it seem like a separate word, and by the strong lack of aspiration of that final s, but it does make sense. Listening to this track really does confirm that.

I would say that nunquam extinguunt is a separate sentence. That is:
Tellus dormit, et liberi ignem (I do think this is ignem, not in diem; in diem is "into the day" which makes little sense) faciunt. Nunquam extinguunt, ne expergisci possint.
"The Earth sleeps, and the children make a fire. They never extinguish it, so that they cannot awake."

The pronunciation with "ne expergisci possint" is clouded by the fact that she (accurately, by classical rules) elides ne and expergisci, and so the "k" part of the "x" in expergisci seems to separate from the word itself, seeming to create "nec" and then a second word.

I also think "mane" is in fact "manet", making it "the time of awakening remains."

Even in this track I cannot seem to get the words to the "ehem" line. "Ehem desperatione" doesn't seem right to me; "Behold! you can see the dawn in desperation" just doesn't seem to fit.

I really wish Square Enix would release the official lyrics to this and/or find a singer who actually knows how to pronounce the words (she follows neither classical nor ecclesiastical pronunciation).

LDV

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Fulgor Laculus dixit:
Maybe the intention was for Deus ? In any case, tellus means the Earth, not a kingdom.
It is true that tellus doesn't mean kingdom, but it can mean land, country; so I think that it was translated as kingdom maybe so that it would fit better to the story of the game

Anima

Tellus dormit et liberi ignem faciunt numquam extinguunt, ne expergisci possint. Omnia dividit tragoedia caram amandamque.

Et nocte perpetua ehem desperatione! Auroram videre potes mane tempus expergiscendi.

A country sleeps and the children make a fire. They never extinguish it, so they cannot awaken. Tragedy divides them all, the dear and the loveable.

And in this everlasting night see the desperation! You can see the dawn, morning, the time of awakening.

I added most of the changes you said, although Im struggling to hear 'caram' and 'ignem'. Still, it makes sense. Do both of you agree with ignem and caram? I couldnt incoporate 'manet' into the last sentence properly though in a way that would make sense. I left country in because it seems more relevant in context.

Btw, is it a possibility of it being 'coram amandam quae'?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Part of the problem with the "mane" interpretation is that mane is not a noun; it means "in the morning."

Omnia is also "all things", not "all people", technically.

And no, caram amandam quae is not plausible. Her pronunciation on that point is actually fairly good; there should be a small spacing between a word and its enclitic. But she vastly overexaggerates this spacing, which makes it seem like two words.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

The singer pronounces ignem like "inyem", I think, because she's singing the Latin as if it were Italian. My guess would be that she is trained in Italian opera, although this song is clearly not in operatic style.

Having listened to it, and after comparing it with what others have already written, my guess is the following:

Deus dormit et liberi ignem faciunt; numquam exstinguunt, ne expergisci
possit. Omnia dividit tragedia caram amandamque. Et nocte perpetua
in desperatione auroram videre potest, mane tempus expergiscendi.

I'm afraid it will be impossible to know for certain what every last word is without official lyrics.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

QMF dixit:
Part of the problem with the "mane" interpretation is that mane is not a noun; it means "in the morning."

And no, caram amandam quae is not plausible. Her pronunciation on that point is actually fairly good; there should be a small spacing between a word and its enclitic. But she vastly overexaggerates this spacing, which makes it seem like two words.
'Mane' can function as a indeclinable neuter noun as well as an adverb. 'Manet' is plausible, too, though.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Imber Ranae dixit:
QMF dixit:

'Mane' can function as a indeclinable neuter noun as well as an adverb. 'Manet' is plausible, too, though.
Didn't know that, though I never have seen it as such. Manet seems to make more sense than that though.

Fulgor Laculus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Here is Chambers-Murray definition of mane:

Mane, neuter, indeclinable -
I. Used as noun in Nom, Acc or Abl, the morning, morn: dum mane novum - Verg.; vigilabat ad ipsum mane - Hor.
II. As adverb, early in the morning: postridie eius diei, mane - Caes.; hodie mane - Cic.; tam mane - Ter.

Anima

Ok, so thats good then. I think Im going to leave it like that.

If it were 'Auroram videre potes mane tempus expergiscendi.' Then that would translate to 'You can see the dawn, the time of awakening remains'. Which makes little sense because dawn is the time of awakening. And if you can see it, it wouldnt remain.

About the 'ehem'. Im just gonna go with it. It really doesnt sound like 'in' in my opinion. And so we have the final version of the translation:

Tellus dormit et liberi ignem faciunt; numquam extinguunt, ne expergisci possint. Omnia dividit tragoedia caram amandamque.

A country sleeps and the children make a fire. They never extinguish it, so they cannot awaken. Tragedy divides everything, the dear and the loveable.

And in this everlasting night see the desperation! You can see the dawn, morning, the time of awakening

Oh wait, one more vote - Tellus or Deus?

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ehem desperatione is not "behold the desperation", because desperatione is ablative. It would be behold <some word in the nominative> in the desperation, which makes a lot less sense.

Anima

Ehhh, damn. I dont know what else to do with it though, so I'll leave it as it is. I guess Ive finished then. Three cheers everyone!

PS. Im sticking with tellus then, since no one replied.

EDIT2: I requested a video to be made of the new translation. I made a slight change:

'et nocte perpetua, in desperatione, auroram videre potest'

'And in this everlasting night, in the desperation, you can see the dawn'

B

Bitmap

Anima dixit:
Im sticking with tellus then, since no one replied.
Tellus for 2 reasons:

I - I think it gives a clearer description of the situation that it's night and everyone is sleeping

II - I don't know any game of the FF series featuring actual gods, so if this song relates to the game, I don't think a reference to a deity is very likely.

Anima dixit:
'et nocte perpetua, in desperatione, auroram videre potest'
should be 'potes' (as is suggested above by you) rather than 'potest'

Anima

^Whoops, yeah, that was a typing error.

Well, that seems good then...

Im just waiting for my friend to make the video.